• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Voltage questions and power usage... etc.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

blackjackel

A few questions, if I'm running a CPU at a certain voltage in the bios, and the voltage stays constant, does not change, but the cpu multiplier is highered or lowered, does this change the power required by the computer?

for example does 1.3v x 6 (multi) = lets say 40w draw
will 1.3 x 9 (multi) also = 40w or will it draw more, say 50w or whatever?

Also, I set CPUID to change voltage but that didn't really work, why not? How come im able to change the multiplier within windows but not the voltage?

yes stepping, C1E (hlt) , Standby states and the load that is on the cpu all change the quanitity of amps or watts total, that the cpu itself uses.

i do not think that any asus board back in those times allowed for the changing of the voltage by the user in even thier own software.
changing the multiplyer and even the frequency of the base clock and PCI was possible in software.
i cannot be sure if it was completly impossible , just that it was not done.

CPUID is a REPORTING tool last I used it. It does not change voltage.

As far as power use, yes, it will go down a little with dropping the CPU speed and leaving the voltage up. Not nearly as much as dropping the voltage but it will. Thing is, as soon as a heavy load is applied the multi jumps back up.

CPUID is a REPORTING tool last I used it. It does not change voltage.

As far as power use, yes, it will go down a little with dropping the CPU speed and leaving the voltage up. Not nearly as much as dropping the voltage but it will. Thing is, as soon as a heavy load is applied the multi jumps back up.

i meant crystalcpuid

is there ANY WAY to change the cpu voltage within windows?

Go the the Asus website and see if there is a utility for that. Im not certain with that old of a board.

You would want to do it in the bios anyway.

AFAIK CrystalCPUID is also only a REPORTING tool.

Go the the Asus website and see if there is a utility for that. Im not certain with that old of a board.

You would want to do it in the bios anyway.

AFAIK CrystalCPUID is also only a REPORTING tool.

nope, you can actually change cpu multiplier and voltage (in some computers) right within windows, you can even create a whole new way for your processor to ramp up or down based on % cpu usage... I set mine to go to 9x at 85+ usage, 8x at 84-35% usage, and at 6x at anything lower than 35%...

Voltages worked too on my laptop, but voltages aren't changing on my desktop.

Is it an AMD tool? I went to their site and it only mentions AMD...

Anyway.. go to mobo MFG website and see if that mobo has anything. It will be uinder utilities.

Is it an AMD tool? I went to their site and it only mentions AMD...

Anyway.. go to mobo MFG website and see if that mobo has anything. It will be uinder utilities.

http://crystalmark.info/software/CrystalCPUID/index-e.html

if you notice it says intel speedstep control. Works for amd and intel.

I downloaded the utilities for my mobo, there is a util that will change voltage and cpu multiplier... but dosen't let you customize it (meaning it has a preset "set" of overclocking options and i can pick 1-through-4, the highest setting being the stock overclock of the processor and the tool won't even run when ive overclocked in the bios. It's crap.

I noticed that. I also noticed outside of that there is no mention of Intel outside of that.

Anyway, click on the ADVANCED tab or something along those lines.

I noticed that. I also noticed outside of that there is no mention of Intel outside of that.

Anyway, click on the ADVANCED tab or something along those lines.

There is no advanced mode, i looked.

So changing the voltage within windows is possible, the means to do it is there, but the software isn't. I'm hoping someone knows some sort of software that can let you do it.

I just checked with my kill-a-watt.

Idle computer, cpu clocked down to 6x @ 2.4ghz = 300 watts average
Cpu loaded all 4 cores at 100%, clocked 9x @ 3.6ghz = 425 watts average.

That means I'm saving about 125 watts just by clocking my computer down when idle.

I wonder how much I can save if I can skew the voltage, I'm about to restart my computer, set my clock and voltage to stock, and find out!

edit just tested, cpu @ stock voltage 1.128v and stock speed 2.4ghz idle runs @ 240 watts

cpu stock voltage and speed running 4 load all 4 cores loaded runs @ 300 watts.

That means that lowering the voltage when idle will only save me about 60 watts, that's not too bad. And when in load I would save about 125 watts if I were to lower the voltage (and multiplier of course)

Last edited:
Ummm your sig doesnt match? What are your system specs?

Also how the hell can your computer be 300W idle.. Im 200W and have a noteably more powerful everything.

Ummm your sig doesnt match? What are your system specs?

Also how the hell can your computer be 300W idle.. Im 200W and have a noteably more powerful everything.

Yeah, sorry, sigs outdated, I'll update it now...

edit: Signature updated to most recent specs.

Last edited:
Back