• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

VPN Issues

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

bchur83

Well I am trying to set up VPN for a company, and for some reason it isnt working. I set it up on a Windows XP Pro machine to be a VPN server, which I have sucessfully done on one of my own machines before. I forwarded ports 1723, 500, 50, & 51 for both TCP & UDP, on the local router with the VPN server. It is connected to the internet via 1Mb DSL throught a D-Link DI-604 router, with a static IP. I also turned on PPTP & IPSec passthrough.

On the client side, the computer is directly connected to 1Mb DSL, no router. I set the client to connect to the server/Router WAN IP. I entered the username and password for the VPN, but it always comes back with error:800, cannot establish connection. I can ping the server IP just fine from the client.

Both of these are on the same ISP network, and therefore never really hit the internet with the VPN. I dont think the phone company blocks any ports. I did try to force it to use IPSec, and it came back with a certificate error, but I saw an error on the server saying so also, so I know they got a connection. I would prefer to use PPTP.

Did I get all of the right ports. I even tried to put the server in the DMZ, but that didnt do anything either. Please Help!

Just a reminder in case you didn’t check the obvious. Did you turn off xp firewall?

Also, it might be a good idea to put the pc in the DMZ for a few minutes to test. That would tell you if it is a router configuration issue or an XP configuration issue.

I set one up a while back... but I am having trouble remembering the hurdles I had... I know I did have trouble but got it worked out.... oh, I think I just remembered. Does the XP Pro machine set up a virtual IP address/adaptor that you need to map out? You might want to check that.

Either way, putting it in the DMZ will speed up your analysis.

Well, I did put it in the DMZ, and that didnt fix it, so I think it might be a config problem on the actual machine. I forgot to check the XP Firewall, I thought it would automatically allow connections through, if I set it up to accept incoming connections.

I set the VPN server to give out a range of IPs to the clients.

I currently cannot go to the company's site for a few days, so I will get back as to whether things are working then.

Can anyone confirm that I have the right ports forwarding?

Back