• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

VPN with NAS

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Kamasabi

Gents,

I was wondering if anyone here may be able to help with my little issue. I have a buddy who wants to set up a VPN at his home so when he travels, he can still have access to his NAS back at home, and I'm trying to help him get it going.

All he wants to have running is his NAS. I wish he had an actual computer, I'd just throw up Hamachi and in 10 minutes be done, but unfortunately that wasn't the case.

As of right now, he is using a D-Link DIR-330 VPN Router.

I have it set up for both ipSEC and L2TP. I think I have them set up correctly, however, here is a screenshot of the settings I have.

for ipSEC, the Name and Auth/Preshared key is filled out, and L2TP Name, username1 and password are filled out, but blanked for security reasons :p.

Now, for testing purposes I've tried a variety of clients to connect to his VPN, however, it is failing quite miserably. I've tried using the built in Windows XP VPN connection tool, a Cisco client, TheGreenBow VPN client, all to no success. Perhaps is there something I could have done incorrectly while setting this up. Or is there something more to what I have here that I need? Such as ports forwarded on my end, etc.? This is the first time I've ever done this, and it is a bit confusing. If you need more info please give a shout and I'll get it ASAP.

Thanks!!

Kama

Try changing the PPTP encryption to 128 bit.

I've got a Linksys RV082 and it does IPSEC and PPTP flawlessly.

Also, try using a simple username and password at first, sometimes VPN routers don't like spaces in the username or special characters (test,test).

Back