• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

vrm and heat

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

prescient

Hello

dose cooling down the cpu helps cooling down the vrm power phases ?

am asking because am getting i7 4770k and am water cooling it .

i intend to ocing it and i read that this cpu has its own vrm .

dose the cpu heat gose to the power phases ? so more power phase will
help cooling them self's ? in my case the cpu wont be making the lot of heat .

am wondering weather to get the asus z87 pro or deluxe they are
typically the same except for the extra 4 power phases on the deluxe
for a 100$ more . is it any benefit for that cpu ?

Last edited:
The cpu does not have it's own vRAM. It uses system ram for onboard graphics.

As far as boards, save your money on the deluxe, it's not needed.

yes sorry i mean vrm phases not vram in that case i meant the haswel has its own vrm

12 + 2 vrm phases for the pro
16 + 2 on the deluxe

so i wont be needing the extra 4 power phases ? that is a good information
thanks for the advise i need to buy a good case and that 100$ is just what i need .

^Nope, no need, unless you plan on benching with LN2/DIce.

Any $100+ z87 MoBo will take your cpu as far as it cab go under ambient cooling (air/water).

Any $100+ z87 MoBo will take your cpu as far as it cab go under ambient cooling (air/water).
Agreed! Have a look at the Z87 A board if you want to stick with ASUS.

Even benching at extreme levels, ten phases is plenty for a low wattage chip like a Haswell.
To be fair, number of phases is less important than the current capacity, switching frequency, and component selection of the phases.

There aren't many chips currently available that draw a ton of power. On LN2 SB-E wasn't a lightweight, the FX series is definitely not lightweight either. The Intel 980x was the last really high draw chip from Intel though, it was measured at >400w in benching conditions.

As long as the VRM bits have a heatsink, I wouldn't worry in the slightest about what is under said heatsink on an Intel platform. It really doesn't matter until you start benching at the extreme outer edge, and even then it matters less than you might think :D
If the board doesn't have a VRM heatsink, I would not buy it. That goes for any platform, excluding extreme power saving stuff (25w CPUs, Atom, that sort of thing).

yes i studied all the z87 mb. i liked the maximums hero vl but we dont have all kinds of
brands here .
well i was just looking for more stability . no extreme work out is needed .
ocing to 4.6 ghz will be fine unless i was guided further , i will stick with the z87 pro tho and not less . and with saving the extra 100$ ill add some more 150 $ and i updated my post at the case/cooling
thread it looks more shiny now . thanks

If you don't have one on the list yet, spend that $100 on a SSD.
Absolutely completely and totally worth it. If I can help it I'll never boot off a mechanical HDD again.

i had something nice written up but gave up, really. i have been out of the game to long but some of the old addages from the past still apply to the current. these cpus are not that much less power hungry then older LGA775 cpus. a c2d 65watt = 4 phase min but better with a 8 phase even on air/water. c2q 95watt = 8 phase min but higher was better, think max back then was 12phase on a board i saw. those didnt have HT, these new ones do, HT still draws power. if your after a quad core even though its listed as 88watts for haswell, 8phase might be ok for air. if your on water go higher 10-12, if the price isnt to high and right why not get the highest you can for what your willing to spend. still have to keep in mind ocing+ht = more power needed, sometimes having more vrm is going to be better then not enough in those conditions.

*just incase i havent said it above, i have been out of the ocing game a bit. i mean look at my sig, my [email protected] is still way more then what i need. how every you cant change power draw/power needed for things to work.*

+1 Asus Z87 A, save your money on the motherboard since your only going to use ambient air or water.

SSD are great it saves me 20 seconds on a boot up, however I use sleep mode everything I do is stored in system memory most of the time unless I have to boot up.

I did some bench tests from boot up only so the SSD helps allot.

I did it with a stop watch and each test I did 4 times.

All test were from system bootup.

HDD Raptor AHCI
PC startup 50 seconds.

crysis 3 startup 1:07 minute.

crysis 3 loading multiplayer map 41 seconds.

BF3 loading origin and web browser 44 seconds.

BF3 loading multiplayer map 1:40 minute.

Battlefield: Bad Company loading multiplayer map 19 seconds.

Samsung 840 EVO SSD AHCI
PC startup 30 seconds.

crysis 3 startup 46 seconds.

crysis 3 loading multiplayer map 25 seconds.

BF3 loading origin and web browser 14 seconds.

BF3 loading multiplayer map 37 seconds.

Battlefield: Bad Company loading multiplayer map 16 seconds.

Last edited:
i had something nice written up but gave up, really. i have been out of the game to long but some of the old addages from the past still apply to the current. these cpus are not that much less power hungry then older LGA775 cpus. a c2d 65watt = 4 phase min but better with a 8 phase even on air/water. c2q 95watt = 8 phase min but higher was better, think max back then was 12phase on a board i saw. those didnt have HT, these new ones do, HT still draws power. if your after a quad core even though its listed as 88watts for haswell, 8phase might be ok for air. if your on water go higher 10-12, if the price isnt to high and right why not get the highest you can for what your willing to spend. still have to keep in mind ocing+ht = more power needed, sometimes having more vrm is going to be better then not enough in those conditions.

*just incase i havent said it above, i have been out of the ocing game a bit. i mean look at my sig, my [email protected] is still way more then what i need. how every you cant change power draw/power needed for things to work.*
that's what we are saying, you don't need 10-12 phase on water. Gone are the days, on this platform, that anything more than 8 is really needed. And though some cpus have HT, that is already included in.their wattage assessment of the cpu.

yes i agree , and its even possible that the haswel uses less or unknown mb vrm
as i read that it has its own vrm integrated .
but i like to go on with the asus pro sieres for other features also as i used the p5q pro
from 2009 it has been great and upped my E8500 to 4ghz easily on stock fan hehe

so its going to be like this so far ,

asus 87z pro
i7-4770k (i hop to get a good chip)
16gb hyper x beast 2400 ram
evga 770gtx sc edition
CM Storm Trooper
tt water 3 extreme
asus dvd burner

1385 us$ from this shop

http://www.egprices.com/en/category/computers

ill keep my old monitor and power supply , those in my sig

and its good you guys mentioned the ssd , i dont really mind waiting 20 sec with
the 4770k boot time lol
my budget is really stretched there , but its good you mentioned it because
what i need is a new hard drive but i dont have more money to replace it .
i have my 5 yo WD7501AALS

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822136283

i guess this is what i need in its place

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822236625

so much for an ssd . i am really in trouble to add this to my budget list atm
is it necessary to replace ? how much faster is this driver , am i bottle necked ?
i can go through benchmarks and stuff or you guys can just direct me . thanks

i guess i need to nuke the WD7501AALS

there it is 12050 Egyptian pound = 1721$ us dollar :comp:

same items price at new egg = us$ 1,374.92

http://secure.newegg.com/WishList/TemporaryWishList.aspx

am selling the old rig stuff for a 150$ (p5q pro/4gb ddr2ram/6870vga/sumo5115case/HddWD7501AALS) i feel its too little but i dont have a choice.

and maybe some discount that is 1450$ and the water cooler is a present for me from my little sisters :salute:
so its around 1400 usd , not much at all for such a killer .
9800 LE, i have 9000 LE lol but i will figure something out :sn:

Last edited:
:bs:they will do the assembling in the shop i hop my next post will be from the new rig
so we can start testing that cpu

we shall keep on playing or find a new town

not for all people sir . the electricity and wiring and the mechanical assembly
with screw drivers and such delicate tools and expensive components are
not something i learned or know how to do . am not very good with hand work things.
i hardly know how to change a burned lamp .
in fact i feel exited watching someone doing it . specially the cpu and so .
i already assembled the computer in that list up :D

why bend a pin here and bend a fan or meet the unknown when i want a good skill person to do it .

Back