• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

VRM Fan

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Kenrou

So as the title says I want to put a fan on my VRM's if possible, don't really like them hitting low 80's, problem would be the Noctua, will it disturb the flow from the block -> back fan ? I'm assuming I have to set it to push air into the VRM's which will be at least "tepid"...

If I can't do this for some reason, what kind of fan would I need to put on the back of the motherboard ? I would like to keep it fairly silent, can I use one of my fractals 140mm for any meaningful gain ? My setup as it is is dead quiet with the fan profiles on standard. Mind you it will be literally on top of my 2 SSD if it makes any difference.

Check signature for details, will attach pics if needed :)

EDIT : just noticed i put this on the wrong section, can someone move it to Cooling ?

Last edited:
IDK about it disrupting airflow, but placing the stock AMD cooler fan on the vrm with a silent profile will produce significant results.

Good it may be but the idea of putting a AMD stock cooler on a quiet system :cry:

You're idea of silent may be different than mine. But under 2500 rpms is about as audible as someone exhaling heavily. Seriously though the fan that came with my 8350 is nothing compared to the one that came with my 6200. Are you just assuming it's loud, or have you used the one you have? Temp wise I think you're going to see better results with smaller spot fans as apposed to a large silent fan. If I were sticking with air, I'd put 3 40mm on the heatsink and the stock 80mm on the backside the of the socket.

I used the one that came with my 8370 and it was flipping horrible even on silent profile, if i can keep it under 20db would be great, i wasn't kidding when i said "dead quiet system" (my 5400rpm HDD on a USB3 dock does more noise then my whole case atm).

Know its probably not realistic, but i would be happy with a ~10c drop, if it can be done :p

Not home for another week so I can't check, but I saw some thing like 20c drop on vcore 1. I am more aggressively focused on temps than silence though.

Married with 4 kids... i LOVE silence... really really LOVE silence... did i mention how much i LOVE silence ?

So... yeah... 20db or under would be awesome, at 100% my Fractals run at ~20db, my Noctua ~30db, but like i said their at the standard profile in BIOS, so im assuming not even at half gas atm (plus consider case "sound proofing").

Married with 4 kids... i LOVE silence... really really LOVE silence... did i mention how much i LOVE silence ?
Yikes I'd imagine so, I have 1, 12 yr old who never stops talking, singing, banging or just making some sort of noise. 4 I'd be walking around with ear plugs. :D

kenrou, you don't need the VRM fan spinning at 100% either to help keep them cool. Mine is usually at around 50% and will ramp up if I'm really loading the setup. The majority of the time I do not hear my rig at all, except the low hum of the dual D5 pumps.

I run a 120 on the vrms with my 8350, the only time i hear it is when benching.
the under socket fan i use is a 120x20mm, I keep it so slow that you have to put a cigarette in front of it to know it's doing anything.

You can use pretty much any any fan you choose. I have a water block on mine and a small 80mm fan on the back of the socket. There are some fancy spot cool fans as well as different types of fan mounts you can get but simply zip tie a fan on there works to.

VRM's can take a lot of heat unlike other PC parts, most mosfets can take upwards of 80c fine, chokes can go past 100C without much problems. But as always cooler is better, I would just put a fan on them and maybe put better pads under the heatsink.

ALSO don't use zip ties, they look like crap. I always but VHB tape on the back of the fan motor and stick it on the heatsink.

Taking DNRDustin suggestion, jury-rigged the old stock fan from this 8370 on the VRM's and was pleasantly surprised with a nice ~20c drop in temps (~75c to ~55c), followed by a not so nice headache from the fan revving up with Prime95. I am very VERY thankful for this nice tip but for the love of everything holy and unholy, can someone point me a quieter fan :D

IMG_1902.JPG
IMG_1903.JPG
IMG_1904.JPG

great success.png

EDIT : Side effect, CPU temps went down a few degrees as well, stressing and will produce screen shots tomorrow methinks.

Last edited:
Its at the Turbo setting in BIOS atm as i am testing 4.8ghz stability, 4.7ghz and below gets Standard or Silent. Cant control the fans separately sadly (at least in BIOS), and this is the only case fan above 1000rpm. Also really want something better, maybe a NF-A8 PWM or 2x NF-A4x10 FLX, this one is really just a try-out as i need something better to lock them in place.

Looks like you have an open fan header right above your gpu. One is linked to case fans 1-3, and the other has an independent fan curve. Chassis fan 4 is what I use, and aside from initial stability testing I run mine at 40%. Really can't take credit for the tip. I was told to do the same probably 20 times before I took a hint.

The white or black one is 4 ? think it goes to ~5500 and does a god awful cringing sound at low-ish rpm but I can work with that for now cheers :)

Have the bottom fan on the other slot, really missing all the fan headers from the Crosshair :thup:

Back