• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Walmart neon question

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

cyberey66

I just got a walmart neon today. I took out the inverter so I can put it in the middle. i hooked up a molex to where the cigarette lighter wires were, and resoldered the neon to where it originally was after the invertor. It doesn't seem to work now.

Do these neons need to "warm up" or anything? And what do they run on? Does it matter which way the neon wires are hooked up to the invertor?

I traced the traces and got it to work. The red wire is the ground! WTF, that was the oddest thing, and I never unsoldered red wire. I'm wondering why the red was the ground, as soon as i switched the wires it worked.

Anyways simple butcher, just moved the car adapter to the middle so I can mount it and use it as a switch.

neon.jpg

willlangford said:
a friend of mine has one of those in his truck. i dont think they look that great to be honest.

~Will

They do seem kind of ghetto, but im using it for a desk light so I can see my keyboard at night when the lights are off. I would recommend for computer use, but I put it in my friends car today, and it looked ghetto. Personally I think cheap neons in cars look bad anyways. It's great for small spaces that you need light in though, im gonna get a few more for various spots on my desk that need light, under desk and under my cabinet on my desk.

Back