• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Wanted: clear case plans

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Can I just share a personal opinion here? I'm working on designing a case. Even though I don't have the case completed, or even started yet. I can say that when I'm done, I don't want someone copying my idea because they're too lazy to think of something on their own.

That sounds a little harsh, that's not my intent. I'm just asking that people respect the work of those who do post their designs. Use posted designs for ideas, but please don't just copy.

*Unless the creator gives permission to copy.

i understand completely, i was hoping someone who had a design would be kind enough to share it, i fully plan to build my own i just wanted some ideas. i dont plan to make any money off the designs, just to make a cool case for myself.

Digital

Not what exactly do you mean by case plans? Are you looking for case specs, ie this wide by this long by this high, or are looking for detailed plans like you find for building models for example. Defining your request a little more may help you get what it is that you are looking for.

i'm looking for something in the middle, like the dimensions for certian things (ie. drive trays, mobo tray) but the overall design will be my own. i'm not trying to copy anyones design, just looking for inspiration/ideas on what to make it look like. i was thinking something like this one from Xoxide.com

xoxide_1722_1833118.gif

Digital

So basically you're looking for design plans for the Drive racks and the mother board tray? That's a hugh difference from requesting a step by step guide on how to build a system. Lets see what I scrounge up for ya.

oh... i see the misunderstanding, i dident want a step by step guide, just ideas. ya i can see why i havent got many responces.

for those who have built clear cases, what material/thickness would you recomend, i'm thinking lexan which i hear is good. and how much doid the whole thing cost?

Digital

Mine i used 1/4" for most of it. Thats more than strong enough for lexan to be load bearing. If you dont need everything to be hella sturdy, use some 1/8", alot cheaper. In fact use 1/8" for most of the drive cages. The lateral tensile strength of this stuff is amazing (its used for bulletproof glass).

That cube case oly cost me $90 ($30 of it was for specialty hinges/screws). I got most of the lexan off ebay. Alotta machine shops sell of their extra's.

i would buy one from them but i'm in canada and if they will ship to me it'll cost me close to $200 after shipping and duties :( it would be more fun/educational/rewarding to build my own.

Digital

an update, i went to a plastics specialty store, they were charging ~$6 something per sq. ft. of 1/8 Lexan that's ~$4 USD is that price reasonable? the guy gave me a quote on a 4X8 sheet for ~$83 or ~$55USD.

just tryin to price this thing out.

Digital

Retail is gonna cost you an arm and a leg. Best way to buy is second hand scrap from machine shops plastic suppliers ect.

Personally I get mine off ebay. That 4x8 sheet would probably cost $40 or less. Search for stock lexan / tuffak / hyzod / polycarbonate. You can find lots of 1/8", some 1/4" and even less 1/2". Alot of times you will see some of the nice tinted stuff on there too. So what I would do is to get what I could off ebay and the like to keep price down (definitely the 1/8" stuff) and then order what you cant find from a supplier.

Its pretty easy to cut. Basicly a very fine tooth metal blade does the trick. Use a jigsaw, bandsaw or a roto-tool and a steady hand.

I encourage you to stray from the Tower model - think outside the box! Make a list of everything you want your case to be able to do, good cooling, plenty of space, lightweight, transportable, sturdy, etc... and then just think for a long while about what would look cool as a general shape :) Build on the ideas, carry around a notepad for when you think of some cool things or a architectural light bulb hovers over you. Otherwise you might as well just buy a Acrylic Case Kit :rolleyes:

case kit??? can u hook me up with some linkage. I'll consider an alternative case design, but i wanted it to be fully upgradeable, and a custom designed case *may*not accomidate that.

Digital

Calvus said:
I encourage you to stray from the Tower model - think outside the box! Make a list of everything you want your case to be able to do, good cooling, plenty of space, lightweight, transportable, sturdy, etc... and then just think for a long while about what would look cool as a general shape :) Build on the ideas, carry around a notepad for when you think of some cool things or a architectural light bulb hovers over you. Otherwise you might as well just buy a Acrylic Case Kit :rolleyes:

I cant agree more. Remember, you are the one designing it so its as upgradable as you want it to be. In the case of my server I thought , well Im putting a whole hell of a lot of time and effort into this so I built it with the capacity for 20 hard drives and even space for a WC if i wanted. Not that i would put any of that in there, but i could.

Back