• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Wanting to buy a digital camera

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Video time is all dependent on how much memory you have on the memory card. Just try to look for the model thats compatible with the largest memory cards for now.

I personally like cameras with good optical zoom, which can make up for megapixels, and in some cases are better then megapixels. Optical zoom is different from digital zoom, digital zoom is the "enlargement" of a picture, or the artificial zoom of a camera. But optical zoom is the truer zoom, almost like how a microscope works, it gets a closer view.

If size doesn't matter, look around at the Olypmus ones and Casio ones.

Kevin007 said:
Japanese companies usually make good stuff ;). I would go with Sony, or Kodak, or even Fujifilm.

I would stay away from kodak. There bad about exaggerating on there magapixles. They also make there cameras dumbed down, like making there stupid easyshare software that slows your computer to a craw. I really don't like them. IMO, there good to give to grandma for her first digital camera, not really to take good professional shots with

I just came back from best buy and comp usa, seeing some of these cameras in person. I liked the kodak :p and i liked the sony H1. I am gonna have to do a little more research online. Thank you for the info about the kodak software though. that is good to know. Though i did like the kodak, because it had its own recharchable batteries. I dont understand why the others use AA batters >< it makes me mad. What you dou get? like 50 pictures and then you have to buy new batteries?

right now my decision is between the sony H1 and the cannon s2. I like that the sony comes with batteries and a charger so i dont have to spend another $100 on it. And, it only uses two batteries. I would be sacrificing the video potential with the cannon, but it is $100 and i could put that towards a vid cam.

bah

now i just found the Panasonic FZ20. **** what do i get????

I was in the same boat, then I decided I didn't really need a camera right now and instead bought a nice monitor (should be here by friday)... good luck on your choice, and I look forward to hearing about how you like the camera (whichever one you end up getting)

www.dpreview.com

see if they have your cam and read

and no offense to the person who took those pictures and posted them but those are just average pictures nothing special

Echo_ said:
www.dpreview.com

see if they have your cam and read

and no offense to the person who took those pictures and posted them but those are just average pictures nothing special

they are alot better than what my current camera does :bang head

and i have been on that site 10 times today. Going back and forth between the Cannon and the Sony

where would i go about buying batteries for these things. that is kinda the thing that is holding me back.

i was looking at the sample pictures again, and i kinda think the sony looks a little better. but then again, the cannon has the movie feature.

Last edited:
The Canon just uses AAs. So you could grab four (or eight) decent (2000mAh+) NiMH batteries and a charger from your local circuit city, best buy, home depot, or whatever.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage...t&productCategoryId=cat08110&id=1091101114208

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/canons2is/page10.asp
"Again the differences between these two new - and very similarly specified - cameras are minimal in terms of detail, overall tonal range and color. But if we thought the S2 IS had over-sharpened results then the H1 is verging on the ridiculous, with visible sharpening halos at all high contrast edges. The Cyber-shot's contrast and saturation are also higher (though of course these can be toned down in-camera). Noise levels are broadly similar, with the H1 slightly better (especially considering the half a stop difference in sensitivity), but overall, using the default settings, the S2 IS has the slight edge here in photographic quality (although to be fair we're talking about very small differences)."

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/canons2is/page11.asp
"Again there's not a lot in it, but i think - excessive contrast and sharpening aside - the H1 is doing a better job of balancing the need to reduce noise with the desire to keep as much detail in the image as possible. Both cameras exhibit fairly low luminance noise, but both also show visible color noise in shadows and darker mid-tones"

They seem to indicate that the cameras offer more or less the same image quality. IMHO the Canon is a little better at low ISO values, but the Sony is a little better with the ISO cranked up.

The Canon also uses relatively cheap SD cards, while the Sony uses the proprietary "memory sticks"

Aidenswarrior said:
where would i go about buying batteries for these things. that is kinda the thing that is holding me back.

i was looking at the sample pictures again, and i kinda think the sony looks a little better. but then again, the cannon has the movie feature.

canon is much better camera company thnt sony. imo go with canon

also i dunno what the cnaon model your looking at uses for memory but its either cf or sd im gussing while sony is their memory stick fomrat which is usually more expensive another thng to consider

this is coming from a person whose family has a

canon ae-1
canon elan 7ne
canon digital rebel xt
canon powershot g2

with couple grand in lenses

so kinda biased but i have had no problems with our canon cameras

Your Welcome for the idea ;) youll have to post some pics about it and yes i do also have a 20D and couple grand in lenses as well...

including...

400 5.6L
70-200 F4
70-200 IS USM

Thats around 3 grand right there ;)

Good luck with the camera it is VERY nice... thanks guys for backing me up on this one! ;)

If you haven't got it yet, I'd take a harder look at the Minolta Z6. I almost got that over many others, including the S2 IS, until I realized I wanted something I could put in my pocket. If it wasn't for its size, I would have a Z6 sitting next to me right now.

Hey SnR_pEr,

Do you have the 50mm f/1.4? I might pick one up for my 10D. I'm still torn 'tho - the 50mm f/1.8 is 4x cheaper.

Have you tried the new 24-105 f/4L? It's so nice, but I can't justify trading in my 24-85.

i would have to say almost anything Canon - i love my XT and now my 20D - DSLR's but their P&S are great as well!

LoneWolf121188 said:
If you haven't got it yet, I'd take a harder look at the Minolta Z6. I almost got that over many others, including the S2 IS, until I realized I wanted something I could put in my pocket. If it wasn't for its size, I would have a Z6 sitting next to me right now.

nah every review site i have seen says get either the Sony or the Cannon. I was looking into them minolta but then i saw the cannon's movie capabilities and stuff. The cannon is just a little more exceptional in everything.

Back