• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Wanting to ditch my ATX system for a small form factor system - seeking advice

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

beyondinfinity

Registered
Hello, I currently have a decent ATX system but I find myself wanting a smaller system now that there are smaller options available on the market. I want to try and make use of as many of my existing components if possible, (although I know I'll have to sell most if not all of my existing stuff) . My current system consists of the following

Originally I build this myself as a quiet pc

Intel i5 2500k cpu w/12GB RAM
Antec P160 Mid Tower Case
Antec true power supply (I forget which one)
Asus P8Z77-V motherboard
Noctua 120mm chassis fan
Noctua CPU Cooler (one of the larger ones like the NH -D14, but an older model)
Fanless video card (radeon series)
One Solid state drive
One velociraptor hard disk

Anyway, if you know the case I have it's fairly big, and honestly for containing basically one hard disk, a tiny SSD, I think it's wasted space. I have no other internal components. My optical drive is external (portable) and I have no plans for dual video cards or anything like that. (no gaming just work)

I want something along these lines (Lenovo M series small form factor)
http://shop.lenovo.com/ca/en/desktops/thinkcentre/m-series-sff/
Either that or a small cube style HTPC.

I was tempted to just buy one of the Lenovos, but after I added everything that I need (RAM, SSD, OS etc. the price just kept getting higher and higher)

I already have SSD, I already have Operating system license, mouse, keyboard, etc, And I know there are ITX motherboards that can take my existing CPU, so why pay for it again.

OR

Should I try and find a smaller case, power supply etc and fit my existing components into that? I don't think I would get as small as I'd like though.

What do you guys think?

There's honestly not that many 1155 socket mITX boards for sale, and they're definitely not cheap for a good one.
You might be better off finding someone that's selling off an 1150 combo for a deal, then selling your CPU/mobo.

That said, go mITX. I run the EVGA Hadron Air for my main system and it's awesome, look it up and see if you like it too.

There's honestly not that many 1155 socket mITX boards for sale, and they're definitely not cheap for a good one.
You might be better off finding someone that's selling off an 1150 combo for a deal, then selling your CPU/mobo.

That said, go mITX. I run the EVGA Hadron Air for my main system and it's awesome, look it up and see if you like it too.

Yeah I'd probably have to sell my whole rig including CPU. I'm ok with that.
Do you think I can build a mITX system cheaper than those Lenovo ones? (I'm guessing yes since I can use my existing SSD at least)

You could keep things like 2x4GB RAM, SSD, HDD, and possibly your cooler (pending what model it is).
So I would say yes you could.

Back