• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Water 2.0 Pro Temps

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

supertoast92

Registered
Hey guys, it's been awhile. Hopefully some of you may be able to give some feedback about this.

I'm running a Thermaltake Water 2.0 Pro AWC, and was wondering what kind of temps you would expect if the chip is a 3570k running at 4.4GHz with 1.21V? Right now, when I run p95 with small FFTs, I peak just under 90C. I feel like something must be wrong...

I'm doing the same thing right now running completely stock 3.4GHz. Under full load it's going to 3.6GHz with my Sabertooth Z77 board. 1.08V. It's only been 5 minutes, and I've already peaked at 73C. :sly:

I've repasted this thing a few times already, and I'm giving up on the idea that it's not seated correctly. I've tightened it down as best as I could each time, just recently with a brand new backplate (these cheap backplates won't hold the grommets in place). It doesn't have any play in it when I try to move it afterwards, so it looks like it's down tight.

The pump is reporting 100% speed, too, per what the instructions require as well.

My ambients are around 25-28C regularly...but my idle temps are around 45C.

Should I try to RMA this whole unit? I've seen much better results when reading around.

Thanks!

Can you actually hear the pump pumping ?

edit: are you sure you've plugged the PUMP into the cpu fan header, and the fans into a DIFFERENT header ?

The thermaltake manual is WRONG on this procedure, as it shows to plug the fans into the Y connector and plug that into the cpu header.

Pump goes into cpu fan header, fans go into the Y connector and then into any other fan port.

Last edited:
Whoa, what?! I've done as the instruction manual said all along, and it's been over a year. I have the fans plugged into the Y, which is plugged into the cpu fan header. The pump is connected to the cpu-opt header on my board, and the ASUS fan profile is reporting 1500RPM. I contacted TT concerning this last summer, and they stated that this is correct and that the pump is actually running at twice the indicated speed. Hmm...

I'll try putting the pump into the cpu fan header. I'm pretty sure it's running, because I've shut it off then back on again, hearing the water begin to pump again (some bubbles somewhere I presume initially).

It needs to be running 4k RPM or better during prime95, probably.

Next step would be check your fan profile, and loosen it up so it puts more power to the pump, but keep the fans down low for noise.

My fans are quite louder now that I've swapped the two pins around. Guess they weren't spinning nearly as fast as they were supposed to. According to the manual, the pump's supposed to be turning at 2800 RPM give or take 150. I chatted with a TT rep last year, and they said that the reported RPM will only be half of the actual, so I'm showing the correct (half) speed for the pump.

The pump gets quite hot to the touch, not sure if that's normal or not...

I've tried different fans, and now I've tried intake instead of exhaust. Either way, the temps still skyrocket with just 1.22Vcore. I get well into the 60s running stock speeds. Maybe it's just my processor?

I know it's not super relevant to Big Water or Ivy, but:

http://www.overclockers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=716889

There's some of my temps from 5ghz on my old, old H80, with two cheapo enermax fans.

I know Ivy runs a lot hotter (~10c+ or better) than sandy, but your Big Water is almost the same as that H80. You should be getting WAY better numbers, I'd think. Especially at stock.

Probably time to RMA it. Might even think about selling the unit when you get the new replacement, and going with something a little better.

The pump gets quite hot to the touch, not sure if that's normal or not...

They all do that, they actually heat up the water and it gets dissipated through the radiator. It's called heat dump.

Friends don't let friends use ThermalTake watercooling. And you bought one.

It's been a year, was it better before?

With your post count and quick look at your posts, you don't hang out much and learn anything.

We call that a Forum Vampire. Suck info in emergencies and disappear with no info gained, just us folks posting using our valuable time.

You been here a year, at least you would try to post in the correct forum, we DO have a water cooling forum.

Sounds like the unit is bad. Go air cooling or better watercooling. We talk about it all the time in the WC forum. Learn, listen, buy informed next time.

I know it's not super relevant to Big Water or Ivy, but:

http://www.overclockers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=716889

There's some of my temps from 5ghz on my old, old H80, with two cheapo enermax fans.

I know Ivy runs a lot hotter (~10c+ or better) than sandy, but your Big Water is almost the same as that H80. You should be getting WAY better numbers, I'd think. Especially at stock.

Probably time to RMA it. Might even think about selling the unit when you get the new replacement, and going with something a little better.

They all do that, they actually heat up the water and it gets dissipated through the radiator. It's called heat dump.

Thanks for the comparison. Yeah, Ivy definitely runs hotter. I've noticed that both the intake and exhaust tubes to the pump feel relatively the same temperature, which makes me wonder if the radiator is actually efficiently dissipating the heat. Then again, the tubes could be insulated well.

I'll see if TT will be willing to set up an RMA. I've just went through an "RMA" with them for a replacement backplate, grommets, and a couple of new fans due to the buzzing my other fans were emitting. Though now I'm beginning to think the buzzing was due to the fans spinning too slowly, being plugged into the wrong header. (I say "RMA" because I ended up purchasing the parts.)

The diff between the in and out of ANY loop is within a few C during load testing for 20 minutes, less time could not let temps stabilize under a constant load. If both tubes feel warm your mount is good but your raddage area or fannage is kinda weak. If one tube is definitely warmer you have big issues.

Ah, I see. My radiator definitely feels quite warm (borderline hot) to the touch after a good 20 minutes of stressing, and I've tried both the stock fans and some Corsair SP fans. I don't think the Corsair ones move as much air, but they're much quieter. The core temps are about the same with either set of fans.

Back