• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Water cooled 3200 A64?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

whoever

Im an AMD fan, and have an old t-bird@1900mhz. I was woundering what kind of OC I could get on an A64 with water. I have a decent water cooling system. and i assume that the 1.7v max isn't even going to dent the WC system right? And so how fast can I get this?

2.5Ghz is reasonable. You could be able to hit even higher. Of course with o/cing there are alot more factors than just the type of cooling you have.

My A64 3200+ only got about another 50mhz stable with watercooling. It runs a hair cooler compared to good air cooling, but the gains are not significant. At 2.6ghz (260x10) @ 1.78v I idle at 36C and load and 41-42C. I can not run anything much over 2.6ghz stable even with 1.9v even though temps are about the same. Same thing with my CO 3000+. It will do 2450mhz on air and 2.5ghz with water.

So say I did hit 2.6ghz, how does that comapre to an intel. FOr instacne a 3200+ 64 is about the same as a 3ghz intel, not in everyhting but it is pretty close in most things.

whoever said:
So say I did hit 2.6ghz, how does that comapre to an intel. FOr instacne a 3200+ 64 is about the same as a 3ghz intel, not in everyhting but it is pretty close in most things.

I thought 3200 A64 destroyed intel 3GHz in real apps/games (well not video/audio encoding)

Not that I have anything against intel. 3 of my 7 rigs are intel.

A64 @ 2.5ghz is about the same as P4 EE STOCK in games I believe.

I can hit 2.55ghz just fine with air..and stock hs..I don't think water will make much a hell difference with it..

CordialSpam said:
A64 @ 2.5ghz is about the same as P4 EE STOCK in games I believe.
well, it is 2.6, and i said a prescott which is different from the EE, but yeah, it should be something like 3.6 when i think about it.

Whats interesting is to see the s754 3400+ almost one frame ahead of the dual channeled s939 3500+. Those two have identical mhz and cache, so the benefit of dual channel on the a64 is not that great at least.

Concerning your question how an 2.6ghz Newcastle will perform: I have no doubt that you will find yourself in the neighbourhood of the fx53 (stock). Only Disadvantage is the 512kb l2 cache, but as the l1 is so much more important than the l2 cache i doubt you will find hardcore differences between 1mb and 512k. Its just like dual channel, won't give you much more performance (but nice to have any feature anyway).
There is just nothing that scales so much like pure mhz horsepower.

so its kinda a tie between intel and amd, casue I could probably hit 3.7-3.8 on a p4, so it seems its a tie.

I may have to site with intel for the HT (i do live vid encoding, and i'd be nioce to hav power to burn at the same time), also I do some audio stuff. and if they are simular in games, well, its hard to say.

Thanks for the great info though

btw, whats a good mobo for the A64 I know the nforce3 250gb is a good chip, but what manufacturer?

whoever said:
btw, whats a good mobo for the A64 I know the nforce3 250gb is a good chip, but what manufacturer?

The nforce3-250 chipset is popular because of the pci/agp lock. Nowadays some boards with the via kt800 also have the lock working. Get the DFI nf250 if you feel like getting most out of your ram. If you don't own that good ram any other nf250 board will do you well.

I use a chaintech (as in my sig) that was 75$ and is in terms of bang for ya buck by far the best mobo i ever got (and god knows i shelled much more money out for mobos). It lacks gigabit lan and nvidia firewire but who needs those anyway? Everything else in on board. Also Epox and MSI Boards are ok. There is also a Soltek nf3-250 board but its not so good because its vcore can only gp up to 1.55v (which can be enough for your purposes anyway).

Back