• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

water cooled heatpipe cpu cooler

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Here's my attempt at overclocking using asrocks oc tuner:
I can't monetise it cos I've used music that's copyrighted but if it gets enough traffic I'll make another version without the music.
did it with prime95 on small ffps.
rads a 240.
I'll take a look at the hwinfo thing.
might give it a rest for a bit. i'm fed up o luggin me monitor n keyboard up n down the stairs.

Your overclock failed... the worker dropped.

Rob,

With respect, you need to get this into the hands of someone that knows what they are doing for testing. :)

What does the worker dropped mean? I'm assuming you mean prime95 stopped working at some point. I missed that. I'll have to take another look.
Ah yes. stopped when I tried to put the cpu frequency setting to 258. I'm wondering if values over 255 or 256 are allowed.
Still I got it to 3844 Mhz @ 37 degrees which doesn't seem bad.
One odd thing I couldn't raise the multiplier above 15x yet it let me reduce it.
mmm I've thought about that and the ability to reduce the multiplier in jumps of .5 gives the opportunity to keep the ht link frequency very close to 2000Mhz assuming the cpu frequency setting can be made to go higher then 256.
eg cpu freq=285 cpu mult=13.5 giving 3847Mhz ( close to my overclock ). HT link freq = 285 x 7( ht multiplier setting ) = 1995.
sorry I get a bit too enthusiastic at times.

Last edited:
Think I've figured out why it crashed. The NB frequency was too high. I'm gonna do another overclock but using the bios this time to try n keep the ram speed down.
Ok I tried and didn't have much success. couldn't seem to get a decent overclock. Think I may have damaged something on previous attempt. Maybe I should leave it to someone who knows what they're doing. loaded hwinfo n that was reporting low temps just like core temp.
The magazine got back to me n said they may do an article but that their writers were unwilling to put an untested piece of hardware in their pcs :( Anyway they wanted some pics of the cooler and of me so I sent them some pics of the cooler. Not interested in seeing my mug in there though.
When I decided to install it and test it myself I didn't really have any sort of plan. Just figured I'd work it out as I went. Anyway the stuff I've been doing lately may seem a bit chaotic but it has helped me work out what I need to do. You guys have been part of that so thank you. I've got a bit of work to do so I may be a while but when I've finished I'll post a video on youtube which should show you anything you want to know about the performance of the cooler.

Last edited:
What is the TDP for the chip?

It would be interesting to know what sort of power your cooling solution is cooling! :D

What is the TDP for the chip?

It would be interesting to know what sort of power your cooling solution is cooling! :D

It's a 65w chip.

What does the worker dropped mean? I'm assuming you mean prime95 stopped working at some point. I missed that. I'll have to take another look.
Ah yes. stopped when I tried to put the cpu frequency setting to 258. I'm wondering if values over 255 or 256 are allowed.
Still I got it to 3844 Mhz @ 37 degrees which doesn't seem bad.
One odd thing I couldn't raise the multiplier above 15x yet it let me reduce it.
mmm I've thought about that and the ability to reduce the multiplier in jumps of .5 gives the opportunity to keep the ht link frequency very close to 2000Mhz assuming the cpu frequency setting can be made to go higher then 256.
eg cpu freq=285 cpu mult=13.5 giving 3847Mhz ( close to my overclock ). HT link freq = 285 x 7( ht multiplier setting ) = 1995.
sorry I get a bit too enthusiastic at times.

The reason you can't raise the multiplier above 15x is because that chip is upwardly locked. It's the same idea as standard Intel CPUs, versus their "K" SKUs, except in those days AMD labled their unlocked CPUs as "Black Edition".

Last edited:
learned a bit about overclocking and did this test:
I'm hoping you guys can tell me if my cooler is any good.

I'll comment, based on experience with a 6400+ on air and water cooled setups. The 6400+ is a hotbox. Based on your vcore and overclock, the temp is slightly better than an average to decent air cooler but not better than a full on water cooled setup. If I had to compare your cooler to something recent on the market, it would be about the same as an H50 or H60 AIO. Based on that, I would rate your cooler able to dissipate in the 100-125w range, which is basically very close to what that heatpipe cooler was before you stripped the fins.

I wonder if he kept the fins on and drilled holes vertically through the fin array if that would help dissipation...

I wonder if he kept the fins on and drilled holes vertically through the fin array if that would help dissipation...
The more surface area rule comes into play there. I would guess yes, it would probably be better.

I think he needs to cut the tops of the heat pipes off and run the coolant down through the heat pipes.
and it would still look so damn cool, like an old zalman spinQ cooler

The reason my overclock won't go any higher is not to do with the temperature as it stays low even when I pump more volts in. I think the chip has just gone as far as it can.

Sorry. Just wish me cooler had performed better. Did I do the test ok? Is there anything else I needed to do? I'll do some more tests if I get my hands on any black editions that fit my mainboard. I Think my nephew has a phenom. Knowing him it's probably a black edition. I'll see if I can borrow it.

- - - Updated - - -

I think he needs to cut the tops of the heat pipes off and run the coolant down through the heat pipes.
and it would still look so damn cool, like an old zalman spinQ cooler

It's already been done. I've seen it on youtube somewhere. It actually does look quite cool. not sure how it performs though.

You're looking at it wrong man. You get an A+ for novelty value and it does perform a little better than the air cooler it was made from. The workmanship is outstanding. :)

Back