• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Water cooling for new rig

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

LifeAt200MPH

Registered
Hello All,

I will be taking possession of my new rig in a couple days and would like to water cool the two video cards and the CPU. I have no experience in water cooling and was wondering what the best approach would be? I'd like to chain all three together if this is possible. What type of radiator, pump, tank, etc., will allow me to achieve this? I won't be doing it right away and will probably put it together over a couple months. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Here is the setup:

CPU: Intel Core i7-5960X 3.5GHz 20MB
Motherboard: Asus X99-DELUXE
RAM: Corsair Vengeance B 32GB 2400MHz DDR4 X 2 for 64 GB
SSD: Samsung 850 PRO 512 GB
Non SSD: Seagate 1TB Barracuda 7200RPM 64MB
Video Cards: Asus GeForce GTX980 Poseidon 4GB X 2
Case: Corsair Obsidian Series 750D
Cooling: Corsair Hydro H100i CPU Cooler
Power Supply: Corsair AX1200i 1200W Digital ATX PSU

First, take a look at all the stickies in this section. Specifically the watercooling for beginners one. That should give you a great idea of what is needed.

To give you an idea, you would want, well, I would want, 6x120mm worth of radiator for that setup with moderate overclocks and quiet operation.

That said, I don't see a lot of room in that case for 2x 3x120mm radiators in there. I think you can shoehorn 2x 2x120mm rads (up top and in the front). You could do it with that, however you would need some higher speed fans to get 'a lot better than air' temperatures but you lose the 'quiet' part of watercooling.

EDIT: It will do a 360mm up top and 240/280mm in front.

Last edited:
I'm still working through that article but the case is definitely not going to meet my needs. I think I will look into an Acension case. Great article, thanks for pointing me to it.

Back