• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Water Cooling is DEAD. Meet the THERMOSIPHON o.0 ???

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
'Gonna need bigger mobo screws....:p

Thankfully I have a forklift if I need to move the PC....

Other than Watercooling being dead, RGB lighting and clear sided cases might be dead also...Not sure I want to look at that.

Last edited:
They stated they could make it 2/3 smaller and still keep roughly the same performance, that would make it somewhere between a 212evo and a D15/dark rock 4? I'm very curious to see if they can pull it off, linus mentioned another video that showed it peaking at something like ~500w...

Either way, they seem to be going in the right direction, might make the other manufacturers peg the prices down a bit [emoji16]

something old is new agian?

saw this video in my youtube feed.

talks about a revolution for heatsinks, but then i remembered where i read about this before!
https://www.overclockers.com/thermosyphons-better-approach-to-cpu-cooling/

wonder why it took so long to get to this point, 14yrs later? with heat pipe coolers they were a great upgrade over just plain finned and pinned heatsinks. the cost of getting to this point can be high but it was also high when people were custom water cooling back in the day as well. many may not know that the early water cooling users were ones that machined their own water blocks and made their own mounting system. we didnt have radiators like we did today, we used car heater cores with custom made fan shrouds. the only tubing choice we had back then was cheap stuff at your local hardware store or buying tygon tubing. might just be me but i do not understand how it took this long for a company to do this. with the countless one up man ship on adding more heat pipes to come on top, someone should have just stepped up and did this from the get go. even if they cut the size down like said in the video, im pretty sure it will keep up/beat some of the best air coolers that are out.

ok enough rambling from an old timer, just time to see if one really comes out.

It's only out performs the other coolers because it has Delta fans.

(this is sarcasm for those who aren't fluent in it)

It's only out performs the other coolers because it has Delta fans.

(this is sarcasm for those who aren't fluent in it)

This^. Linus' testing here doesn't even come close to comparing apples with apples. There are way too many variables here to draw any kind of conclusion, not the least of which is the fact we are dealing with a prototype. And as far as "bulky" goes, I'd still rather have a water cooling radiator fastened to a panel, tucked out of the way than have a monsterous air cooler filling up almost the entire open area of the case. My guess is that when all is said and done the production models of this thing will perform about as well as very good tower air coolers and AIO water kits.

Last edited:
Theoretically speaking, you could offset the heatsink/radiator thingy up high to allow airflow over the socket, ram, and VRM's if they were able to shrink it down to 30mm as they are speculating.

I thought it was fishy how he somehow claimed that the two deltas were quieter than the phoenix's 3 EK fans. Maybe EK fans are just loud, idk, but it would have been nice if he had actually tested that.

FWIW Linus did a piece a while back about clickbait titles and how he regretted them but found them necessary in the current YouTube ecosystem. He compromise was to make two titles, the first one clickbait and the second one descriptive. So admittedly, "watercooling is dead" is just clickbait, and the real title is "tMeet the THERMOSIPHON!" which tbh also seems like clickbait but whatever. He is also launching a new company (Floatplane) with the goal of addressing some of these issues, however it does so with a subscription service I believe.

In other words, this kind of thing is the price we pay for free content. But does it have to be? Gamer's Nexus seems to do a much better job generating revenue from live streams and merch without all the clickbait and crap, but it also seems like a smaller operation. Linus seems to have a ton of content under different channels for a wide variety of audiences. Anyway, this has turned into a discussion of youtube and why Linus would claim some marginal prototype has killed water cooling vs the actual prototype. Either way it looks cool!

This stupid video is everywhere.

LIQUID COOLING IS DEAD

OVERCLOCKING IS DEAD

SOME LINUS KIDS VIDEOS DEAD

/thread

Overclocking is not dead but was severly injured when companies started testing and marketing OC'd chips themselves. What I find interesting is that moore's law is *still* valid even today. It's been pronounced dead many times over the years and yet it lives on. That brings us to the threadripper and the ilk for needing cooling like this in the first place. I mean... Over 300 watts of heat?! Wow. Something has to be done to keep heat, cost and noise levels down.

Thanks Elvisizer for the 2005 link on this topic. Published right here. Now that's something we should get out on our front page!

Here's another OCF Thermosyphon link. Great stuff. Hopefully JoeC and his cohorts have patents and are/will be getting paid.

https://www.overclockers.com/silentflux-atx/

i wish i knew more on the topic when it comes to the fluid used. though i cant for the life of me understand why they would have used R134a for the medium on that cooler. the CW number they got seems a bit high but even the time it came out and size it does seem about right. with better manufacturing and better computers to run simulations on like they have today, im sure this would have been a awesome cooler back then.

I think another issue was they were relying on gravity like a heatpipe and not utilizing a wick like this new Thermosiphon.

I think that the key in any discussion on this is that they have yet to create a product to take to market. The 2005, 2007 and current samples that have been reviewed/tested are just prototypes. I figure that there must be some technical issues to overcome to get a product that they can mass produce and sell. That and until recently, a radical change in cooling tech just wasn't thought to be needed by the companies that sell cooling products. Keeping in mind that this product may or may not be the answer. I think back to the ole TEC peltiers. I mean I really wanted to get into TEC cooling but by the time in my life when I could afford it, it was shown to not be a good solution. Heatpipes took over. Now we are finding that heatpipes have a limit but only for fringe CPUs like the Treadripper. You can bet that these new CPUs will get the industry to start R&D for better cooling but it takes time and the majority of enthusiasts are not in wide spread need of a new cooling system yet.

And regardless, the bigger limiting factor is becoming shrinking die size and contact area between the die and the IHS. This has caused the law of diminishing to have already set in with any kind of high end ambient cooling solution. What we really need is more cost effective, space efficient sub ambient solutions.

Back