• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Water cooling newb question

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Greywolf74

Are WC fittings supposed to have a gasket between the fitting and the block or no? My monsoon fittings come with two gaskets per fitting but Im unsure if its an extra one or if it goes between the fitting and the water block. This is my first build, thanks in advance.

- - - Updated - - -

Sorry after re-reading what I just wrote my question might have been slightly unclear. I meant to say I know one gasket goes between the monsoon hardline pipe and the top of the fitting but I didnt know if the other one is an extra or if it goes under the base of the wtaer colling fitting. thanks

Can you post a link to the fittings in question or say what they are etc. Just to be sure as I know there is a hardline fitting out there which uses two gaskets on the tube.

As a general rule though, there should definitely be a gasket/o ring between the fitting and a water block or whatever it is screwed into.

If it is hardline tube then yes there should be an o-ring on the tube as well.

If it is just soft tube then I don’t believe there needs to be one. I am not sure if some of the compression fittings use them as I’ve never used compression fittings.

I think you mean o-ring, not gasket. If you are using the economy fittings then yes. The larger o-ring fits on the pipe and the smaller one fits on the threaded portion of the fitting where it secures to the block. There is also a clear plastic washer that goes between the upper part of the fitting and the tube o-ring to keep the o-ring from deforming when tightening the fitting onto the pipe.

As much as I love the Monsoon kits, this video is telling me its a long process getting it all setup. I personally would have gone with another company if I had seen this video, pre-purchase in a hypothetically sense.

As much as I love the Monsoon kits, this video is telling me its a long process getting it all setup. I personally would have gone with another company if I had seen this video, pre-purchase in a hypothetically sense.

I did see that video before I bought them. I really like the fittings and the tubing Ive just never done a WC loop before so I wanna make sure I get the orings and gaskets right. That video doesnt answer my question either but after spending quite a lot of time on the web I think I figured it out. As far as I can tell the o ring goes under the base and the gasket goes between the hardline pipe collar and the top of the base. The other two are just extras. Thanks anyway

Cool. Good luck. Remember to wear heat resistant gloves. Also, heat up the bending mandrel some to keep from cooling the tubing too quick while you're in the middle of a bend.

Cool. Good luck. Remember to wear heat resistant gloves. Also, heat up the bending mandrel some to keep from cooling the tubing too quick while you're in the middle of a bend.

nice tip about heating the mandrel! Thanks :)
I have the heat resistant gloves that came with the monsoon bending kit. Im assuming those will get the job done. :)

Back