• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Water cooling question

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
All waterblocks are copper, you're thinking of the aluminum. You might add 10% antifreeze if you get the aluminum topped block to be safe. A scratch on the anodizing is all it takes to leave you open for galvanic corrosion between the copper of your waterblock and radiator and the aluminum of the top. The reason why I don't recommend the polycarbonate top is that over time the thermal cycling of turning your computer on, running it and then turning it off will make the top brittle and it may eventually crack. If you leave your computer on 24/7 or close to it, this isn't a concern.

If you put that hard drive up in one of the 5 1/4" bays (either just set it there or get an adapter or drive silencer for it) you should be able to put a dual heatercore in there. Measure first though. Should be at least 11" to fit.

Yeah im going to do that. That is just a temp HD I have in there right now. Once I get my other HD configed for Linux I will put both of those in there. Dual heatercores would be quite a bit more expensive wouldnt it? Or would it fit in my ~200$ budget.

But I bet you mean dual fans. :x

Last edited:
Alacritan said:
Aside from the waterblock, what can't you reuse in watercooling? When you change chipsets you'll have to change the block unless it's universal (not very common anymore), but everything else stays the same. I'm not sure what you mean by 'one trick pony'. Watercooling setups are purpose built. They do one thing and there is always an optimal way to do it.

What I was referring to is some of the 'complete' watercooling kits out there that come sealed and ready to roll. Normally they are only CPU coolers and many times are fairly inexpensive. Basically they are closed systems unable to be adjusted. I am not talking about kits like the Koolance, Swiftech, etc. I am talking about the ones that come completely assembled already. Pricewise they can be attractive but are not open to customization like the Globalwin offerings.

Any system you can change blocks, pumps, rads, etc on to me is a component based as opposed to a 'complete kit' system. Those allow modification as your needs and system change. That was what I was suggesting people be careful about getting.

Many of the complete systems also are specifically designed to do one thing- chill the CPU. While possible to cut and splice in other blocks most times the pump and rad are not designed for the additional components and performance will take a severe drop. Its always possible to reuse just about any component but many times from systems like those it will yield extremely unfavorable results.

Not two heatercores, but a heatercore large enough to fit 2 120mm fans. You can get one at Autozone or Pep Boys or whatever automotive shop you have locally for about $20. Ask for a 77 Bonneville. That's the one to get. Just make sure you have at least 11" from the bottom of the case to the bottom of the 5 1/4" drive bays.

legendosiris,

How do you have your setup?

pump > rad > CPU block > Vid Block?

OR

pump > CPU block > Vid Block > Rad?

Thanks man, appreciate it.

scanido.

pump > CPU > GPU > Rad

thought about doing it a few diff ways but this way seemed the least tubing, and easiest routes with a t-line.

--Inkfx--

seems you've got alot more room than i have in my case, so i dont think it will be a problem for you to fit it all inside, shouldnt be a big issue getting a dual 120 in there either ;)

Legendosiris

Lol, just wanted to say I love the Stans Tubeless "NoTubes.com" sticker on the window right below the WCing tubes. Up pretty late last night so maybe its that but it made me chuckle. ;)

Back