• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Water temp sensors

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

kain000

hello everyone, I was hoping that someone here better than I did how a temp sensor worked. I was wanting to examine the effectiveness of my cooling loop and I think the way to do that is with water temp sensors placed on the inlet and outlet of my Radiator. I dont really want to display the temps on a LCD screen or any other drive bay deal, rather inside my system.

I'm not sure exactly what the sensors output that gets translated into a temp reading, but I was wondering if anyone had herd of a way to have them talk directly to the bios and system via the motherboard. as far as the system is concirned it would just be a matter or reading into a program from that sensor and creating a panel app to display it.

perhaps the internal usb headers?

any advice would be awesome.

thanks

They are neat, fun to play with. But the effectiveness of your loop is easily broken down to two things.

Chip temps and noise levels. No more is needed. But playing with sensors can be fun.

The temp of a proper loop water temp diff between in rad and out rad is maybe 1.5 C max.

Read deep, fun info once you look at the water in/out temps.
http://martin.skinneelabs.com/

You can rewrite the bios and make fun stuff, but the BigNG or summin like that can do all of that and control fans and pumps. And USB connected.

They are neat, fun to play with. But the effectiveness of your loop is easily broken down to two things.

Chip temps and noise levels. No more is needed. But playing with sensors can be fun.

The temp of a proper loop water temp diff between in rad and out rad is maybe 1.5 C max.

Read deep, fun info once you look at the water in/out temps.
http://martin.skinneelabs.com/

You can rewrite the bios and make fun stuff, but the BigNG or summin like that can do all of that and control fans and pumps. And USB connected.

humm I see your point, I was sort of hoping to see a larger temp difference than that. noise levels ehh? you mean actual noise from the fans?

Ohh my goodness. Fans from high speed deltas which will cut your finger off, used by pros to get every last mhz out of a chip while pouring liquid nitrogen into a cpper pot on the CPU? Amazing to see. Then down to low speed fans for HTPC TV PC's where nios is the king. yes.

Fan noise is a very important matter. Where is your PC and what is it's use? Not saying there are BiGNG's to monitor noise,but it's a important factor. You like music and play through the PC to a $5000 stereo? You want low noise. You wanna OC your PC while Death Metal is blaring in the background? etc etc etc.

There are radiators on the market which cater to low noise fans and cool very well and some which pull massive heat but bring the big gun fans.

http://martin.skinneelabs.com/ Science even!

Link broken.

hello everyone, I was hoping that someone here better than I did how a temp sensor worked. I was wanting to examine the effectiveness of my cooling loop and I think the way to do that is with water temp sensors placed on the inlet and outlet of my Radiator. I dont really want to display the temps on a LCD screen or any other drive bay deal, rather inside my system.

I'm not sure exactly what the sensors output that gets translated into a temp reading, but I was wondering if anyone had herd of a way to have them talk directly to the bios and system via the motherboard. as far as the system is concirned it would just be a matter or reading into a program from that sensor and creating a panel app to display it.

perhaps the internal usb headers?

any advice would be awesome.

thanks

water temps don't mean much. really it just tells you how warm your water gets under x load. its how your rads dissipate the heat in the loop more than anything :) you can put a sensor anywhere on your loop and i can and will be different.

you're better of monitoring hardware temps as Conumdrum said :) it will stay persistent under load and idle, but your load temps are what you're looking for the most!

Back