• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Waterblocks for my Rampage V Extreme

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Snowbiz

Registered
I have been looking at the various full board blocks for my motherboard.
http://www.ekwb.com/shop/blocks/motherboard-blocks/full-board-blocks/intel-x99-series.html

If you notice their is a few different materials used for the different blocks,
Acetal, Acetal + Nickel, Nickel, etc....
I know looks is one aspect and I know that you should never mix aluminum in with other metals in your loop. I also read that copper will oxidize over time and turn a brownish-green color so for the sake of longevity I would probably not go with the first one which is highly visible copper interior beneath the acrylic or acetal.
But as far as the rest is there a benefit for going with one of the other?
(Not considering price, just performance /how long it will last and how durable it is)

I personally think the clear ones look best so I have my mind made up there but as far as the actual metals used in it I'm kind of at a loss...

Thanks!

Go acetal and be done with it. EK did have some issues a few years back with flaking but pretty sure they've resolved those issues.

I have been looking at the various full board blocks for my motherboard.
http://www.ekwb.com/shop/blocks/motherboard-blocks/full-board-blocks/intel-x99-series.html

If you notice their is a few different materials used for the different blocks,
Acetal, Acetal + Nickel, Nickel, etc....
I know looks is one aspect and I know that you should never mix aluminum in with other metals in your loop. I also read that copper will oxidize over time and turn a brownish-green color so for the sake of longevity I would probably not go with the first one which is highly visible copper interior beneath the acrylic or acetal.
But as far as the rest is there a benefit for going with one of the other?
(Not considering price, just performance /how long it will last and how durable it is)

I personally think the clear ones look best so I have my mind made up there but as far as the actual metals used in it I'm kind of at a loss...

Thanks!

There's no real performance differences between the different versions. It's mostly for the look.

The Nickel flaking issue has been resolve a while ago. Also, the nickel version are copper with a small nickel plating so you keep the advantage of the copper.

There's no real performance differences between the different versions. It's mostly for the look.

The Nickel flaking issue has been resolve a while ago. Also, the nickel version are copper with a small nickel plating so you keep the advantage of the copper.

Can I ask you Luc, is there an issue with using a Silver kill coil and EK nickel? I've recently read again that its best to use a liquid form of biocide like dead water and the likes because there might be a reaction with the silver strip.

Can I ask you Luc, is there an issue with using a Silver kill coil and EK nickel? I've recently read again that its best to use a liquid form of biocide like dead water and the likes because there might be a reaction with the silver strip.

It is better not to use a Silver Kill Coil. It doesn't mean that it will automatically react with the nickel plating it's just not recommended and also it means that you add another metal material in a loop. So this is why we usually tell people not to use it.

I personally like the clear/see through blocks so I don't see one of those in just acetal. So nickel is safe? What about the fact my radiators have copper fins, can u mix nickel and copper in the Same loop ?

I personally like the clear/see through blocks so I don't see one of those in just acetal. So nickel is safe? What about the fact my radiators have copper fins, can u mix nickel and copper in the Same loop ?

Of course you can. All my rigs have nickel and copper in it

Back