• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Watercooled system number one... start to finish, bunch of pics

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Thanks for the comments guys, yea I found out about the staining after I had filled my system...it doesn't bother me too much but when I do refill it in the future I am going to try one of the alternative cooling fluid mixtures. Plus I would like to get the tubes glowing more, I haven't figured out how to do that yet.

I checked home depot and the only metal clamps they got are those screw types. I remember seeing online a version that you actually clamp down with a pair of pliers for a more permanent seal. The screw one's scare me a bit especially when you have to use them with plastic connectors! Grrrr also from some messages I got I am not using the most efficient flow pattern so i may change that soon, maybe when I get a new mainboard to play with some OC'ing :D

Oh and I like the pump, it's siiiiiiilent... well it was weird, at first even after priming it made a very loud noise almost like the big sump I use to drain water out of my boat after fishing. After about 15 min though it subsided to a very low hum that I cannot hear over the other noise in my office.

And who who can see a corndog and not get hungry!?

Metal clmaps with screw is fine as long as you don't screw it very tightly. All my barbs, except for the barbs in heatercore are plastic and I didn't have probs with it cracking. I was very careful tightening tho...

I am usually careful unless it's Friday and I have a few beers in me :beer:

I may have to reconsider using the screw ones, I wish I hadn't psyched myself out from using them before.

One thing tho since you are using ClearFlex but some black tape at the end where the clamp will go. This way the metal doesn't cut through the hose.

Good idea, I actually have an abundance of heatshrink tubing which happens to fits over the clearflex that I might try. I brought this home from work a few weeks back:

ibmps280.jpg

and I have been slowly working on getting it ready to move a standard ATX system into. I'll be using metal clamps in that one and probably a T-line instead of a reservoir.

Someone else told me that as well in another post, do you know what ratio of that to use with water...and can you mix that with coolants and stuff? My chem 101 is rusty so I don't want to have any funky rxn's going on.

tsintse said:
Someone else told me that as well in another post, do you know what ratio of that to use with water...and can you mix that with coolants and stuff? My chem 101 is rusty so I don't want to have any funky rxn's going on.

haha chem sux my.... yea.. but newayz you can add it with the coolant.. I guess one of the stratagies you can try is put some amount in and let it run, look at the color and repeat as needed

Nice looking setup.

I'd make a few easy changes next time you redo it:

Reverse the fan so it blows in.

Possibly mount the fan on the outside of the case to make for more room inside.

Redo the layout like Klownin79 said: res, pump, rad, CPU, GPU, res

ehehe with a name like Korndog I am not surprised... the tofu ones taste almost exactly the real things though, don't they?

My plan tonight was to move the fan outside the case to start with but my friend just picked up Vampire Saviour for his Capcom Q-Sound cabinet so I think I'll head there to do some gaming tonight and wait till this weekend to move stuff around. I am interested to see how much room moving the fan outside creates...I have another 80mm papst that I would like to put on the side window to blow out. I notice that under load the case temps goes way up, doesn't seem to affect the cpu temp much though.

You said your case temps are higher. I noticed when you were talking about your set-up you said nothing about any other fans besides the one on the rad. So with that one and the one in the PSU is there any intake fans.

Sweet setup for a first time WC'ing!

However, I'm concern if your four hard drives are getting enough air flow to cool them down. It seems to me the case has very little air flow. Plus the Coolermaster Musketeer has some bad reviews based on the accuracy of its measurement and the fan controller. I think you'll better be off with a Vantec fan control (sorry about the one that died on you). These are just thoughts.

Keep us posted with your upgrades.

Water on my man.

Too much gaming and not enough work this weekend.. plus I managed to get in car accident.

The musketeer *seems* to be working ok... the temp is questionable on it though but I didn't really get it for that so no biggy. I did remember why I couldn't mount the fan on the outside. The inside lip right where the radiator would be flush against the metal is like just a hair to small for it to fit. I am actually getting frustrated with this case in general and have accelerated my plans for moving the whole system into that IBM PS/2 case. Sneaky you are right, the hdd's are not getting enough cooling...there is no vent in the front of the case to let air in, I have a single 80mm fan blowing on the harddrives but it is nowhere near what I would like. Until I mount that Papst on the side of the window I have removed the side panel to increase airflow... it almost feels like I have my ghetto college system again :D

the clamps i think you were thinking of are called ear clamps. they're tight, but permanent. i know i've seen them on a water cooling site, but i couldn't find it again. you should be able to find them at a hardware store, i googled it and got a bunch of results.

Back