• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Watercooling help

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Luis_GT

Now that I caught your attention, I've been away from water cooling for about 2 years, currently have a H100 that I got on discount and has been decent for the month i've had it, but I want more cooling power.

I was searching frozen cpu and came across this lil kit

http://www.frozencpu.com/products/1...p_Included_w_Free_Dead-Water.html?id=4hjYEf5d

175 bucks for a whole kit, aside from the res with integrated pump, it looks very good.

Now for the question I need help with. I have an old Swiftech GTZ block, a MCP655 pump, and a mangled Swiftech Quiet Power 220 (may throw it away as it has so much dust and so many bent fins that I don't think it may be worth anything)

My original plan was to buy the 1155 adapter for the GTZ, a XSPC Res/pump combo compatible with my MCP655, a Swiftech extreme performance 220 slim rad, tubing, all with 3/8'' fittings, and a silver bullet to eliminate any growth.

The difference is only about 6 bucks between the 2 and I've read the XSPC block is excellent.

Which should I choose, about the only thing I don't like from the kit is the 7/16" tubbing and the res/pump combo, as everything else looks good to me... hut on the other hand, the MCP655 pump is better, I get red tubing, and the Swiftech rad is a bit better, but the block, being so old, may hold me back. That and my pump was manufactured in 07, so it's got some age too...

If you already have a pump and a block, I would just do custom setup instead of a kit. That way you get exactly what you want. That water block is a little old but if you're not going for huge overclocks then you'll be fine with it.

Huge overclock is the point... lol... I'm limited to 4.8ghz with the H100, as it's reaching 90C with my delidded 3770K

If HUGH Oc's are what you're after then I feel it just points more towards going custom. You can always start out with the block you have and change it in the future.

What would you recommend for custom

So far If I go custom it would be:

Swiftech GTZ
Swiftech MCR220 eXtreme performance
XSPC Dual 5.25" bay reservoir compatible with the MCP655
All with 3/8" barbs

The XSPC kit on the other hand:

XSPC Raystorm CPU block
XSPC RX240 rad
XSPC X2O Res/pump combo rev 4
all with 1/2" barbs

You've got a great pump already. If water flows through your MCR220 and you have fans to push air through it; banged up or not, it'll work. :p

I'd use the MCP655 + MCR220. Since you're wanting to bench, I'd add an MCR320 and a solid new CPU block (yours is very long in the tooth). The Apogee HD is reasonably priced @ $63 (there's also a white version). EK's Supremacy is a bit more expensive, with the cheapest version at $76.

Going with your exiting pump and adding a rad and block should still bring you out cheaper than the XSPC kit in the end and will perform better.

My $.02. :salute:

Well, I just placed my order, a full kit for 200 bucks is to nice to pass up... hope it allows me to pass the 5.3ghz barrier :comp:

I got the stuff this evening, I gotta clean the radiator first... it sucks that only 4 parts = 200 buck... lol... good thing I already had a MCP655

That's what happens when you buy the good stuff. Good luck! Make sure you rinse the block backwards then forwards and check the fittings for prongs etc first. Had a fitting once with no o ring glad I caught it before installing.

Nice. Not bad for $200. What fans will you be using and which version MCP655 you have?

Nice. Not bad for $200. What fans will you be using and which version MCP655 you have?

Just a normal MCP655, manufactured in 07 (has the Potentiometer at least)

As far as fans go, I'm gonna reuse the CM Blademasters I have on my Corsair kit, along with a Swiftech helix 120 1800RPM since sidewinder didn't have any blademasters so I could have all 3 match. Got a scythe 8 fan controller to control them.

You have, if you dig into the info, a MCP 655B. Not that you seem to worry abou it much. It's also kown as the Vario 655. It is better than the 655 Basic, it has no settings and acts like your pump at setting 4 over a 655 basic, no knob to adjust speed.f.

Wait, I got lost, I though the MCP655B didn't have the potentiometer and the normal 655 did :confused:

Now I remember why I stopped using Water cooling... makes the case look messy

WE1VEZk.jpg.png

Back