• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Watercooling Loop with EVGA 790i FTW

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ericyu049

So I am looking to do a custom waterloop on the EVGA 790i FTW motherboard. I need to cool the mosfet and the NB/SB because they get super hot when I try to overclock the CPU.
I found these from performance-pcs.com:

http://www.performance-pcs.com/ek-mosfet-790i-water-block.html

http://www.performance-pcs.com/ek-mosfet-790i-water-block-part-2.html

http://www.performance-pcs.com/bits...reezer-striker-extreme-nb-sb-water-block.html

A couple questions when I was planning out the build:

1) So these are the parts I need for the mosfet and the NB/SB, but I am not sure if i can mix these parts together because the black freezer extreme block seems to be a different material than the ek mosfet one.

2) If I am cooling the mosfet and NB along with the CPU and possibly 2 - 3 graphics cards, what would the ideal number of radiators and how strong should the pump be? Is two 240mm Radiators good enough for cooling everything?

Here is a picture of the motherboard:

425_big_01.jpg

all 3 are copper where the water comes in contact with them so no worries there but thats a really old platform to build off. are you going with that platform for retro reasons? im just curious. also need to know what gpus and how many your going to use to give a suggestion on raddage.

all 3 are copper where the water comes in contact with them so no worries there but thats a really old platform to build off. are you going with that platform for retro reasons? im just curious. also need to know what gpus and how many your going to use to give a suggestion on raddage.

yeah I am building this just for fun. Not really for daily usage. I might do a 780Ti SLI...or even 980Tis...haven't really thought much about what to use. Depends on what kind of deals I get for the next couple months.

we generally go by 100w can effectively be dissipated by 120mm of rad but i think youll be fine with 1x360 and 1x240. i dont have the patience right now to find the wattages of those gpus and your mb/cpu(ill leave the hard stuff for you lol). ill say 2x 360 would be ideal. for a pump i always stick to d5s. tons to choose from. all manufactured by laing. or ddc pumps(same). just keep in mind that those mosfet/nb/sb blocks are restrictive. so i would go d5 with an aftermarket top. or a swiftech mcp50x if you need a small pump. youve already found ppcs so you know where to find your gear. altho amazon carries a large variety of wcing gear now and believe it or not newegg has caught on so check them out when your pricing gear. if you need anymore help just hit us up and have fun!

I wouldent put any money into a setup that old. That tech is pretty obsolete at this point and any processor that fits that mobo is going to have trouble running modern games without limiting the GPU. You're way better of putting that money toward a modern setup.

I wouldent put any money into a setup that old. That tech is pretty obsolete at this point and any processor that fits that mobo is going to have trouble running modern games without limiting the GPU. You're way better of putting that money toward a modern setup.

I concur.

if he has the loot and the time, why not? hell i wish i had never sold my 780i rig. i had more fun ocing/punishing that thing than ive had since tbh. i say have at it!:rock:

Yeah I already have a system with ryzen 1700 and 1080Ti. So this is just a fun project I want to do.

Back