• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Watercooling Maintenance and Life Span?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
SolidxSnake said:
WC maintenance takes much more time than AC, but lasts longer between pitstops.

I think this is a good way to put what we are talking about. The frequency of water to air is what I was referring more to in that I don't have to mess with anything nearly as often as I did on air, but when you do need to clean everything out, it obviously takes more time.

I however don't mind the occasional taking everything apart and cleaning since I don't have to mess with my system as much in between.

As far as leaktesting goes, ever since I started leaktesting with air I have found it to be SO much simpler (http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.php?t=478351). For instance, on my current loop, I put the barbs in my res and then attached the tubing, which on one barb takes a sharp turn from the res to the rad. The pressure from the tubing broke the RTV seal. I found out in about 2 seconds once I got some air pressure on the system as I could hear the hissing. I took it apart, resealed it this time with the hose on, and after drying retried it with air pressure with no problems. If I had only leaktested with water, it would have taken me much longer to fix the problem and clean up the leak. Using air is nice also in that I pump everything up to 10psi, and if it holds 10psi overnight, it isn't going to leak. I can't add pressure like that just leaktesting with water. I also don't have to even mess with powering on the pump.

I usually leaktest with air overnight to make sure it holds the pressure, and then add the water and I'm done.

Back