• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

WaterCooling where to start?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Couldn't agree more, if you're going to drop $300 on cooling you might as well go all out and look at TECs

Thank you all. What is TECs? Also Instead of getting the kit I could put it together myself and maybe just start with the CPU for now? My main concern now would be placement in the case for room HDDS I have 3 and CD/DvD drive and if they will fit properly.

TECs were rads that were sold many years ago. For rads, have a look at my personal preference Black Ice as well as Alphacool, EK, Swiftech to name a few. Again, this will mater what can fit in the case.

Sent has made two posts. TECS are a really neat way of cooling. Problem is you need a 1000 watt 24v Power supply for them. You need custom cooling plates for the chips you want to cool. You need TWICE the radiator cooling for them if that even works. They cool by magic. They are terribly inefficient. They were a thing back in the early 1990's when CPU's had a 75 watt draw. Etc.

Unless he means some odd radiator company. Not sure what he meant.

If you don't know what a TEC is I'm sure you have Google and Wiki to figure it out.

You are asking some great questions. Many of us spent months reading before asking a single question. You'll be more informed and ask better questions once you learn more.

Our stickies have lots of fun info. They are in YELLOW at the top of this forum.

Last edited:
This is you and making it fit. That is up to you. Whatever case you buy it needs to fit. There are thin rads, rads with 30 FPI needing powerful fans. Thick rads for less noise due to less fannage. Also furure concerns. CPU for now? Then XX size rad and the rest of the needed parts. You need future GPU cooling? Add a rad. IF YOUR CASE WILL HOLD IT.

Just buy a CASELABS or MONSTER case. You'll be fine forever.

Just don't think you have to buy a GF/Wife repelling monster computer case to enjoy some water cooling luvin'. The cheap...mid sized Enthoo pro can house 2x240mm(front + bottom), a 360/420mm up top, plus a 120/140 out back.

I took it to mean peltiers, but perhaps he'll explain.

Ah ok. Thought we were talking about rads for some reason and had my mindset there. I swear I thought I saw a thick rad with "TEC" letters to it or my mind must be making things up again.

Just don't think you have to buy a GF/Wife repelling monster computer case to enjoy some water cooling luvin'. The cheap...mid sized Enthoo pro can house 2x240mm(front + bottom), a 360/420mm up top, plus a 120/140 out back.

Thank you the case I purchased is the Corsair 750D Air Flow Edition. Is there a general consensus I should get my own parts separately rather than in a kit?

Thank you the case I purchased is the Corsair 750D Air Flow Edition. Is there a general consensus I should get my own parts separately rather than in a kit?

Not really. Whenever I've looked at kits there's always at least one part I don't prefer, but if you like everything in there and the price seems good, then there's nothing wrong with buying that way. It should at least guarantee compatibility, so that's something.

Not really. Whenever I've looked at kits there's always at least one part I don't prefer, but if you like everything in there and the price seems good, then there's nothing wrong with buying that way. It should at least guarantee compatibility, so that's something.

Well, I finshed choosing my parts and I came to almost $500 and thats only with CPU block. That seems pretty high to me.

Can you list the parts for us? That seems much too expensive. You are not including the cost of the case in this are you? What country are you purchasing these in?

Can you list the parts for us? That seems much too expensive. You are not including the cost of the case in this are you? What country are you purchasing these in?
THis is what ive came up with

X6 3/8 x 1/2 Compression Fittings $53.70

Radiator: Koolance Triple 120mm Copper High Flow Radiator - 30 FPI - Black (HX-360XC) (No Nozzles) $84.99

Fans: X3 EK Vardar F4 120mm x 25mm High Static Pressure PWM Fan - 2200 RPM - 33.5 dBA (EK-Vardar F4-120 (2200rpm) $56.97

Tubing: PrimoChill PrimoFlex Advanced LRT Tubing 3/8"ID x 1/2" OD - 10ft Retail Pack - Clear (PFLEXA10-12) $24.99

CPU Block: EK Supremacy EVO Universal CPU Liquid Cooling Block - Nickel + Blue Acrylic (EK-Supremacy EVO BLUE Edition) $102.99

Reservoir: AquaComputer Aqualis Base for Pump Adapters w/ Nano Coating and Fountain Effect - 450mL (34047): $79.99

Pump: Swiftech MCP655-PWM $$69.99

Total:$473.62

Do you really want to use compression fittings? Barbs and clamps are cheaper and easier. I know, it don't look as cool.

I didn't know anything about that reservoir, but figured there were cheaper options (like the reliable Swiftech MCRES Micro Rev. 2 for $25). It looks like this reservoir you picked out is designed for a pump of the same brand to be installed. Will the Swiftech pump work? I don't know, maybe not.

The aqualis base for pump adapters variants are equipped with sockets at the base of the reservoir and can only be used in combination with a compatible Aqua Computer pump adapter!

Last edited:
Back