• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Wattage needed?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

crosscheck

Hi all, first off I'd just like to say that I've been a lurker on these forums for a week or so, ever since I decided to get myself a low-mid end gaming rig. I have put together my rig and now, only 1 piece remains; my PSU. I don't know a whole heck of a lot when it comes to computers, so pardon my ignorance if I do show any.

Specs:

Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 @ 2.4Ghz
4GB DDR2
ATI Radeon HD 4850
320GB SATA 7200 RPM

I don't exactly know if any more info is needed, but if so, then please state what, and I will do my best to provide the answer.

I'm wondering what kind of PSU I should get for this? And how many watts? Budget-wise, I'd like to keep it as low as possible. Basically something that will "get the job done".

Thanks for the help.

EDIT: Also, I have a 300watt crappy PSU lying around, I just need you guys to confirm that it won't cut it. I'm 99.999% sure that it won't, but it's worth a shot right? :)

And I did check the sticky (http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.php?t=458204) to try and find the answer myself, but it seems to be out-dated? and my video card was not listed in that thread.

Last edited:
Do you want a P/S that is just barely enough or do you want one that may be powerful enough for future upgrades? This may be a cheaper alternative for the future. 300 watt is not good for any current technology.

Thanks for all the help guys, I have ordered one of the suggested ones, can't wait for it to come in :D

Back