• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

WC 1st time build review + input

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

sanjeev2000

Registered
I've decided to jump head first into watercoolings and have been looking around at forums to see where i could get good solid input on my decision and i came across overclockers.com. So here's what i've decided on. Let me know your thoughts. Would much aprreciate it

Pump: Sidewinder Custom MCP655 / Laing D5 with G 1/4 Threads + x2 Bitspower 1/2 x 3/4 Shining Silver Compressions
Radiator: HW Labs Black Ice SR1 360 Carbon Black - Triple 120mm + x2 Bitspower 1/2 x 3/4 Compression, Swiftech MCR120-QP Quiet Power 120mm + x2 Bitspower 1/2 x 3/4 Compressions + Swiftech MCB-120 Rev 2 Radbox Radiator/fan housing
Reservoir: EK-Waterblocks EK-BAY SPIN Reservoir - Acetal + x2 EK High Flow Fittings G 1/4 to 1/2in. ID Barb
CPU Block: EK Waterblocks EK-Supreme HF Universal Socket - Acetal+Nickel
GPU block: EK Waterblocks Nickel Acetal waterblock for GeForce 480 GTX - EK-FC480 GTX
Fans: Scythe 120x25mm SlipStream SY1225SL12SH - 110 CFM x 8
Tubing: Feser Tube - FT - Active UV Hose - ID 1/2" - UV BLUE 5 feet
Coolant: Thermochill EC6 Non Conductive Coolant - Clear 1L + Petra'sTech PT_Nuke -PHN Concentrated Biocide (10mL)
Extra fittings: Bitspower Matt Black 1/2in. Compression Fittings for 3/4in x6
Misc: Logisys Dual Red 12 in. CCFL Light Kit

Total cost: US$666 + US$111 (shipping) = US$777

Config: Pump -> CPU block -> 120mm radiator -> GPU block -> 360mm radiator -> Reservoir -> Pump
Fans in push/pull config controlled using Scythe 4x fan controller
Casing is my existing Cosmos S

Aim is to get good cooling at minimal noise production with the option of max cooling with noise increase

Let me know if i'm missing any components or if you think anything could be improved

Not bad. No need for marketrs hype special liquids. Distilled water is MUCH cheaper and actually better.

Just enough rad for your setup, just enough. Can you get a 120x2 instead of a 120x1 rad?

5' of hose probably will be just enough, might opt for 8' or so. Your first loop? Hehe, you probably will recut redesign once. Lots of us like Primochill LRT too.

You should wait till Skinnee finishes his GTX480 waterblock tests at xtreme systems, another fine forum.

Heatloads explained, why you should think of getting a bit more rad.
http://www.overclockers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=643364

Otherwise, decent setup.

Lots of posts here about the same basic setup, if you haven't spend some tome reading lots of posts from beginning to end.

yea i didnt want to get a 120x2 rad coz of aesthetics. the 120 rad would fit nicely in the exhaust of the cosmos s while the 360 rad would fit perfectly in the predrilled top of the casing.

Ok will get 8 feet of hose and distilled water.

Chose the feser tube due to the fact that sidewindercomputers only seemed to carry that as a UV tube and wanted to get all my parts from one place to save on shipping.

Yes will read the rest of the post and check out the other forum as well.

Thanks for your input and keep more coming people.

The rad in the exaust makes it lose 15% at least of effiency. You'll have warm case air cooling the rad. So your even closer to not having enough rad. Can't cheat physics.

Here is a review on the SlipStream SY1225SL12SH, i remember reading about them not being very good rad fans, do a search here on the forum and read on them, i think they are a bit too loud, you may find better fans with lower noise levels.

http://www.overclockers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=607686&highlight=SY1225SL12SH

So that you dont have to worry about the PT nuke, you can replace it with silver coil, also like someone else said primochill tubing is good and i dont think it clouds as fast as others.

PerformancePC carries a lot of the items too and carries the primochill tubing.

Cosmos is a pretty good size case so i would get 10 ft of tubing, better have it and not need it then need it and not have it.

Those fans have low pressure. meaning they might say they move 50 CFM, but put them against the rad and they can't push. The air leaks out back through the blades you could say.

Decent case fans though.

wow that performance PC site is amazing and has alot of stuff that sidewinder didnt have !!
4 questions.

1) For the Swiftech MCP655™ Series 12 VDC Water Pumps what kind of fittings would i need to connect a 1/2 ID, 3/4 OD hose to it? The sidewinder version that i was using was already prefitted with 1/2x 3/4 compression fittings. I would prefer compression fittings.

2) Would the Koolance Nozzle Single, G 1/4" Compression [ID: 13mm (1/2"); OD: 19mm (3/4")] be a suitable compression fitting for my rad, res, and the EK-Supreme HF High Flow - #1 CPU Water Block - FULL COPPER - GOLD

3) Finally if the EK-Supreme HF High Flow - #1 CPU Water Block - FULL COPPER - GOLD a gimmick? as in never new there was a 'gold' version. And would mixing this copper/gold cpu block with a Koolance VID-NX480 GPU block which has nickle i believe cause any corrosion problems?

4) Where do i buy distilled water and the silver thingy? does performancePC have it? cant seem to find it.

Thanks in advance.

1) I think u are talking about the **modded mcp655** to be able to put barbs on it. Yes u can install Compression fittings.
2) yea, if u use the same compression fittings on each parts. for you 1/2 ID 3/4 OD will mean 1/2 ID 3/4 OD TUBING.
3) Not sure, the GPU waterblock is copper only nickel plated.
4) At Walmart, you can buy distilled water
Buy PNH Nuke it will be enough 3drop!

copper and gold come under the similar metals category... I hope #Laughs# i`ll shine a torch on my cpu block and if its going bad i`ll post back :D

as for anything plated all depends on whats under it... it can get damaged and lift/flake as the reaction gets going.

if you need any anti corrosive then G11 and pt nuke works well :thup:

Edit: oh and :welcome: to the forums

yea no Walmart in Ireland....most decent computer stuff has to be shipped over....Like we live in the middle ages.....
Thanks for the replies.

As to my qn 1) So with a bareboned unmodded Swiftech MCP655™ Series 12 VDC Water Pump would attaching the Koolance Nozzle Single, G 1/4" Compression [ID: 13mm (1/2"); OD: 19mm (3/4")] alone be enough to hook it up to my system or will i need some converter etc.

Sanjeev2000, take a look at this before you build: I am using a Cosmos, not the S but the older one (same basic frame, I had to cut the top to fit a triple rad up there). Look at the triple Rad up top and where the motherboard is. I had to move the 120 rad to the bottom exhaust hole, because with the fan / rad in the exhaust it blocked the holes on the MB blocks. Not sure if you wanted to cool your MB but I thought I would show you this before you set it all up. Good luck with the build!!

Attachments

• DSC00432.JPG
    DSC00432.JPG
    86.7 KB · Views: 230
oh right thanks for showing me ur cosmos setup

I did more research and apparently the swiftech 360 rads wont fit unless case is modded so im going to go with the Blackice Xtreme 3

As for the 120 i was going to mount it outside the casing using the swiftech radbox so hopefully that should prevent any interference with the mobo.

Not planning to cool the motherboard. For some reason it runs soooo cool at sub 40 degrees.... Nothing like my old 780i running at 90+ degrees

Oh and bobbybubblehead. thanks for the links. Chilledpc had all the liquid goodness i needed.

So it seems like all i have to figure out is the fans to get for my rads and how to connect the MCP655 pump to the system. Hopefully by the end of the day wif the help of u folks i can burn my $$

oh any battery top up fluid will do us folk at the uk end.
dont know if youve got hallfords in ireland but any garage or petrol station should have some anyhow :)
distilled or deionized it all does the same job.

just gets expensive to buy any "special" water from the WC suppliers and its all myth anyhow... the purest of water aint so pure after a couple of passes through the loop :thup:

Yes i meant distilled water from that website

I was thinking for the MCP655 could i just simply attach the 1/2" ID hose to the pump itself without any modification and just simply secure it in place using standard metal clamps?

theres lots of different lang pumps...

one of mine is a MCP655 without any fittings and I threaded the outlet myself with a G1.4 barb and used oversized tubing stepped down on the inlet.

the other is a swiftech MCP655 which fits half inch tubing direct and smaller tubing can be heated and wrestled on effectively.

anyhow heres my pump listing - http://www.overclockers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=629710

and for the general enlightenment heres a res listing - http://www.overclockers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=629928

and rads - http://www.overclockers.com/forums//showthread.php?t=626885

(three rods for my back that need updating no doubt :-/ #Laughs#)

Yes i meant distilled water from that website

I was thinking for the MCP655 could i just simply attach the 1/2" ID hose to the pump itself without any modification and just simply secure it in place using standard metal clamps?

Yes, it has fitting for 1/2 ID hose, just need the standard metal screw/wormclamps, works just fine.

Ok i had to eventually put my money where my mouth was and i threw down some cash on the build
So here is the final build after taking advice from u folk

Pump: Swiftech MCP655™ Series 12V DC Water Pumps
Radiator: Swiftech Radiator - MCR320 Quiet Power Series Triple 120 mm, Swiftech MCR120-QP Quiet Power 120mm + Swiftech MCB-120 Rev 2 Radbox Radiator/fan housing
Reservoir: EK-BAY SPIN Reservoir
CPU Block: EK-Supreme HF High Flow - #1 CPU Water Block - FULL COPPER - GOLD
GPU block: Koolance VID-NX480 (GTX 480)
Fans: Scythe 120x25mm SlipStream SY1225SL12SH - 110 CFM x 8
Tubing: PrimoFlex Pro LRT UV Blue Tubing -1/2in. ID X 3/4in. OD 10 feet
Coolant: Distilled water + Petra'sTech PT_Nuke -PHN Concentrated Biocide (10mL)
Extra fittings: Koolance Nozzle Single, G 1/4" Compression [ID: 13mm (1/2"); OD: 19mm (3/4"), Stainless Steel Shielded Hose Clamps for 3/4in.OD.Tubing
Misc: Lamptron 8" Dual Cathode Light Kit - Red, 120mm Fan grills.

Total cost: US$700 + US$121 (shipping) = US$821

Config: Pump -> CPU block -> 120mm radiator -> GPU block -> 360mm radiator -> Reservoir -> Pump
Fans in push/pull config controlled using Scythe 4x fan controller
Casing is my existing Cosmos S

Phew thats one big investment right there. Hopefully it pans out. Thanks again for all the useful advice. Wish me luck fellas !

Back