• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

WC Budget Q's

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Sleepy_Steve

WC Build -- No longer budget.

OK, with the air cooling setup i picked out running me $90 i feel the need to consider other options.
Noise is not a concern of mine, there are ways to deal with that (ear plugs) Preformance is my goal here.

I have a good deal of tools... and would be making a seperate enclosure for the WC equipment. To the point that only the lines to and from the block, and the block itself are in the case. I am also willing to take the time and make the effort to save a bit here and there doing as much of the build as i can with home made parts.

Disclaimer: I have not done a WC setup before so forgive any newbish statements. But I'm willing to make the effort and learn.

Can I get a dual pump (or one realy big pump), dual rad setup done for under $150??

About the idea in my head:
Lots of head pressure
Home made PVC res
Heatercores in parallel
Would be going to CPU only

I think it would be cool to run a blower setup here... so im willing to write that off if it pushes me over budget. A blower like the one seen here.

Here are some other things i choose to ignore in the final cost. So that they wont contribute to going ober on the budget.
Hose clamps, barbs, soldering stuff (have), hose -- i found a source for free.(1/2in)

Now for a diagram of sorts...
Code:
                                      /<HC_One>\
|Res| ~~> |Pump_1|~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~> -{          }- ~~> |CPU|
                                      \<HC_Two>/

Thanks, -- Steve

Last edited:
Well a 77 boniville heatcore and a D5 will do just fine for a cpu... no need for dual pumps adn heater cores for a single chip.

HC = 23$
D5 = 65$
Tubing Clamps Water = 20$
Apogee CPU block = 45$ if you get a good deal
T fitting for T-Line instead of res 2$

155$ + Shipping... + 2 120mm fans.

I am running a 3500+ @ 2.5 GHz on 1.55v and 2 7800GTs on a single 77 Boni HC with 2 90CFM fans and a D5... My GPUs max at 36*c under load and my CPU pushes 40*c if it is a hot day usually down around 37*C full load.

Dual pumps and rads for a CPU only = OVERKILL/A waste of money...

Ahh. Well I suppose i can keep things to a one pump, one rad design for now... But at the same time I think i will also build the WC enclosure to be easily expandable.

Just in case i need to give the video card water... or provide more cooling to the CPU.

Any threads on making a PVC res?
As well as availability of pumps from home depot / lowes?

Size is not an issue with me as I will just build an enclosure to house all the components.

n You wanna do a DIY PVC res... If you like mods, try and use plexi if looks matter to you on one end so you can see it it will look sweet. Also if you need cheap parts or want deals hit us up we give discounts to people from the boards.

www.razetek.com

And btw you might just wanna give this a thought or two

http://www.razetek.com/product_info.php?cPath=38_43&products_id=65

http://www.razetek.com/product_info.php?cPath=38_42&products_id=125

http://www.razetek.com/product_info.php?cPath=22_23&products_id=30

http://www.razetek.com/product_info.php?cPath=39_49&products_id=69

:beer: Cheers and GL with however you GO!!! Send us all some pics to let us know how it turns out!

Raztek - Thankyou for your links... But I will be using alternat sources for most of the parts. As for those deals for people from the board, what might that be exactly?

Now, time to price it all out. :D
Yes. Looks like i shall be far out of budget, but i think i have a way to justify a bit of a larger budget. :beer:

Rads x2 -- $40 for both --looks like 35 @ autozone, and 30 @ napa -- any one know if you can still get them for 20 each??
Pump Link -- $40 <~~ so what kind of power input does this need?
CPU block Link -- $48 + maybe a discount from raztek
Now, to do the same favor as i do for those who help me out with car parts -- I'll offer to wear a sticker on the front of the WC enclosure :santa2:

As for the blower i have in mind... I found a suitable blower that dumps out 450ish CFM (more than enough for both rads, and prolly enough to keep the pump cool as well) -- However the only local retailer i found that can get me one (HVAC supplier) wants $95 for one. More shopping is needed to find that at a better price. In case your curious, its a FASCO B45267.

To recap...

Down to one pump.
Still want to run 2 rads if i can find them for 20 each, otehrwise i'll settle for one.
Just a CPU block for now... And possibly adding a GPU block at a latter date.
Industrial strength blower for the overkill factor (selling my car's old ECU to pay for it muhhahah) 450 CFM FTMFW!!!
I can even use a dimmer switch to act as a voltage control!

To price all that out...
Rads -- No more than $40 for both.
Pump -- $40
Block -- $50
Blower -- $95
Enclosure, res, hosing, clamps, fittings, and misc electrical stuff to make it run -- All homebrew from existing scraps or negligable in cost totals.

Hmm, Guess that was a bit of a bump as well -- So be it.
Looking at my previous post I still need to know two things:
1) Where to find (ie: links) heatercores for $20
2) What kind of power input the pump will take. (Site is confusing, so other users please chime in)

Check out your local Napa, Autozone, Pepboys or whoever may be near you. My Bonneville only set me back $23 from Pepboys.

voigts said:
'77 bonneyville heatercores are about $18 at Autozone.
For without A/C but they are wider and harder to mount in most cases. With A/C is a more traditional size for mounting in the front, top or bottom of a case.

Sleepy_Steve said:
Pump Link -- $40 <~~ so what kind of power input does this need?
[/B]
Most aquarium pumps are 120 VAC and IMO if you're going to use that then get two - that way when one fails you won't fry your machine. The reason I spent $75 for an MCP655 was it's reliability - it's an industrial grade pump guaranteed for 5 years and has a 50,000 hour failure rating. You won't find that with an aquarium pump because the fish won't die in a few minutes if their pump fails.

On another note - the '77 Bonneville heater cores (with AC) run ~$20 each at your local auto parts store and I run mine in parallel. My water temps are 3°C above ambient with a ~120 CFM fan (room air purifier) pulling air through them ...

If failure does happen, CPU's have therma shut off points for a reason.
Running a dead pump behind or ahead of one that does run will just burn it out very fast, and why ruin good hardware?
120VAC would be great, that way i can easily run it off a single power source to the WC box.

Ah HA! so its a '77 pontiac boneville w/out AC.
Yep, $18.99 Dual Rads is a go! Weee.
Although both seem to be the same price, I will likley go with the w/out AC heatercore as im not concerned about mounting dificultys, as it is not going inside the PC.

Sleepy_Steve said:
Running a dead pump behind or ahead of one that does run will just burn it out very fast, and why ruin good hardware?
I guess that depends on the type of pump. I've had my MCP655's running solo with the other one turned off and either of them can keep my CPU cool, though it does take a higher setting for solo mode ...

Thats a good point. My statement was an assumption. However, given that i cant seem to find the blower cheaply -- I think one pump, and one block right now are all it makes sense to get.

Hmm, time to check Ebay and the classies again.

Sorry for the late reply, we give 10% off on all people from forums with orders over $50.... (I can set it lower if ya just e-mail on the website.) And we do higher discounts for orders over 175... Sometimes if you ask, and I have enough parts in stock, I take a few more dollars off or ship for free or sumthin, just cause I am kool like that :santa:

GL though, and don't worry about going somewhere else, I take no offence :beer: Hope the links help

I have decided on some left over 4'' PVC drain pipe for my res. (Just using an elbow) -- If i use the PVC i dont know how i would make the fittings to attach to it.

Also -- Where can i find a writeup on making the tubeing work with a HC??

EDIT: ''T'' fittings or ''Y'' fittings?

Last edited:
Sleepy_Steve said:
I have decided on some left over 4'' PVC drain pipe for my res. (Just using an elbow) -- If i use the PVC i dont know how i would make the fittings to attach to it.

Also -- Where can i find a writeup on making the tubeing work with a HC??

EDIT: ''T'' fittings or ''Y'' fittings?
All I do to my heater cores is cut off the angled part of the inlet and outlet. What you have left is two short, straight pieces of 1/2" copper pipe, which you might want to smooth off with a file/wire brush, or something. Your 1/2" tubing will fit right over those pipes, then screw clamp 'em and you're done! It doesn't take anything fancy though a lot of guys go through the trouble of soldering on restrictive 1/2" barbs - for the *bling* factor I guess. :rolleyes:

For the res - if it's going to be a "real" res (as opposed to a T-line res) then you need an inlet, an outlet, and some way to fill it. End caps on your elbow comes to mind - drill two holes on one end and insert some type of fittings to attach your tubing. At the other end you need some way to open the cap so you can add fluid as needed. Any type of simple pull similar to a drawer pull knob will work. Spend $3 and get a nice looking one if it's gonna' show - if not, stick a bolt through it with a chunk of wood, a small rubber ball, whatever you want to use to pull the end cap off ...

Last edited:
OK, totaly gave up on making my own res... getting an inlet and outlet to go with PVC drainage pipe simply eluded me.

Where can i find a resevour with 1/2'' ID fittings?? -- EDIT: swiftec micro res, at first i thought it only came with 3/8th fittings... its good to see its offered with both.

So far i have gotten hose, clamps, fittings valves and pipe to connect it all, as well as stuff to make draining a lot faster / easier. However i need me a decent size res right before the pump to makefilling as easy as possible. Oh yeah, and i picked up some heater cores from the local autozone down here at school -- was shocked they had two in stock.

Oh yeah... no longer am i trying for a budget setup... My situation changed kinda sorta for the better. :beer:

EDIT: also forgot to add that im going to run a temp sensor as well for CPU & GPU. Link!

Last edited:
Back