• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

WC'n the HAF-X Dream Machine

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

dtrunk

So here it is. As some may have noticed, I'm planning to put together a budget "dream machine" in a HAF-X: IB i7 CPU (~$350)/IB Mobo(~$300)/SLI GPU (most likely GTX680 HC or Classified HC.) So here is the loop I'm considering, parts n design. please suggest other parts in place or suggestions. :clap:

layout would be - res > pump > 360rad > cpu wb > pump > 140rad > 2x GPU WBs > res

I'm not sure I need 2 pumps; don't mind running two of these at low RPM apposed to 1 at high RMP? I'll mount these on custom brackets right about where they are in the image. I went with a thinner (34mm) radiator 3x120mm up top (coming to 60ish mm fan/radiator) with medium speed 120mm YLs. A (55mm) fat 140mmx1 rad at the back with 2x YL 140mm med speed fans. Will also add an extra 200mm exhaust to the top of the HAF-X. I want for a theme of black/clear/red. i added a few extra barbs, clips, hose for just in case. all from jab-tech, hence the combination of items. is it worth the extra $ for the food quality hose?

WIRING HELP: As far as fan control, can I splice wires of 3x120 all together to run via one nob on a controller? i assume i can do the same with the 140mm fans. I spec'd med speed fans with plans to undervolt. I also wanted to use a knob style controller and spliced wires to control the pumps, cool? I might swap the 8 knob for a 4 nob if I can splice wires of fans/pumps.

BUY BUY BUY??? or Total Overkill?

Should i move the pumps/res to the drive bays? mayb i'll work on that tomorrow and share what i come up with.

Attachments

• WCloop.jpg
    WCloop.jpg
    123.6 KB · Views: 256
  • hafx wc1.jpg
    hafx wc1.jpg
    153.3 KB · Views: 276
  • hafx wc2.jpg
    hafx wc2.jpg
    159.3 KB · Views: 298
Last edited:
My controller has 3 rads fans on one knob, same on the other rad, I have 30 watts per channel, what's your have?

That tubing will work, it get's clody and is not that flexible. It works though. Look up Primochill LRT hose.

Your fine with just one of those pumps. I run one for my loop, see my sig below.

getting ready to buy, as i've noticed the HC gtx680 is in/out of stock; and hopefully I'll have one soon. thanks for the info/feedback. I'm amazed that one little pump will do. Need help with these two thoughts.

1) I can't find any info that says the Apogee HD beats the EK Supreme HF; any thoughts on this?

2) I have (at max) 70mm between the top of the board and top of the case (without modding); this is why i picked the MCR320 radiator (35mm + 25mm fan = a comfortable 60mm). However as I looked around my case last night I thought why not just stand the radiator upright between the PCB and front HD/Drive cages? has anyone done this? reasons why i shouldn't?

^ and if that doesn't work out, should I consider any other radiator for top mount. There are a few that are as slim as the mcr320 but they generally have more FPI (20-30.) I noticed YL makes a 20mm fan, so I could buy myself 5mm to blow on the Radiator, but can't find much better stats then what the mcr320 offers.

Thanks guys... I'm super excited to walk down the WC path for the first time.

..... res > pump > 360rad > cpu wb > pump > 140rad > 2x GPU WBs > res

I am not experienced one but correct me if I'm wrong, what will you actually achieve by putting 360 before CPU?
Most builds I've seen does have CPU just after pump to have the highest pressure at it. What are pros and cons of your solution? Please share.

WIRING HELP: As far as fan control, can I splice wires of 3x120 all together to run via one nob on a controller? i assume i can do the same with the 140mm fans. I spec'd med speed fans with plans to undervolt. I also wanted to use a knob style controller and spliced wires to control the pumps, cool? I might swap the 8 knob for a 4 nob if I can splice wires of fans/pumps.

layout would be - res > pump > 360rad > cpu wb > pump > 140rad > 2x GPU WBs > res

I would not advice on cutting any wiring on the MCP35x Pump because its PCB is based on a PWM Curve and not Voltage regulated as the older pumps are and cost less. Just go with a non-PWM Pump like the MCP350/355 if you want to control them via voltage regulating. The MCP35x is a great pump and pretty powerful. If you still want to go through that just use your MB's PWM and use some software PWM permitting.

As for your LC layout I would go Res-->Pump-->GPU-->GPU-->360Rad-->CPU-->140rad-->Res

Last edited:
lfmao @ 290 fpi! ty gtxJB.

Does the increase to 20 fpi from 12 make much of a difference? I'd assume since the radiator is so thin (35mm) that increasing the fpi by would increase performance but not have as much affect on the fans; as in the MCR320 XP would be a good way to increase cooling in my limited space?

Anyone have thoughts on mounting the radiator (going up/down) between my mobo & drive cages? ihave a lot more room there.

PS: Failed again today at buying a HC gtx680 from evga. got to end of checkout and NO STOCK.

Attachments

• hafx wc3.jpg
    hafx wc3.jpg
    151.3 KB · Views: 187
Last edited:
ymmd?

Well, parts are ordered. Wooohooo! On a side note, I'm such a dingbat. The radiator issue isn't even an issue, I have a solid 1" probably that I can move the radiator around (if i'm willing to drill new holes.) Of course I am if I can get a phat radiator; so i got a xspc rx360 wth 20mm YL med speed fans. Also ended up with a swiftech 350 and xspc small rad top. Will post some pictures as I put it all in. Thanks for helping me blow $400!! :)

Back