• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

WD Raptors Whats new!!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ZGOZZ

Ok Just found out and you may or may not know.
That there will be a 500 gig Raptor.

Due to hit the channel in the last quarter of this year.... :clap:

Hoping they will maintain that low sub 10ms seek time performance on 500GB size.

||Console|| said:
Raptors are so over priced
I don't think so since the performance increase is very noticeable.

I'd guess the price will be at least twice the cost of the 150GB drives. ~$400

Kinda steep but you will get some pretty fast RAID arrays if you use a top controller card like Areca.

Audioaficionado said:
I don't think so since the performance increase is very noticeable.

I'd guess the price will be at least twice the cost of the 150GB drives. ~$400

Kinda steep but you will get some pretty fast RAID arrays if you use a top controller card like Areca.

regardless, people will want more storage per dollar IMO unless you're one of those speed nuts ;)

the only people i can see buying this is if he/ she wants the big storage C:\ at raptor performance :)

in a raid 5 array, performance is not bad on normal sataII drives.

Price on the new Raptor Drives I do not have that yet, last quarter the new Raptor drives will be coming out, and there might be a raptor for gaming laptops as well.

From what I was told, from a very good source in WD.
the price will be under 500 bucks, but again this is just vapor ware talk on pricing..:clap:

if i had any guess the price would be 499.99 :)

thats my assumption tho, and a raptor for gaming laptops oh boy...

thats a battery drain waiting to happen

gangaskan said:
if i had any guess the price would be 499.99 :)

thats my assumption tho, and a raptor for gaming laptops oh boy...

thats a battery drain waiting to happen
That would be a pretty hard sell as 500GB SATA 3.0 drives are going for just over $100 now.

Audioaficionado said:
That would be a pretty hard sell as 500GB SATA 3.0 drives are going for just over $100 now.

Like I said nothing is written in stone...:attn: :beer:

I think the Seagate 10,000 RPM models will be faster with Perp technology (the 250GB 7200.10 "revised" Perps do over 100MB/s sustained :eek: ), and cheaper... Now, we just have to wait for them :)

:cool:

Randyman... said:
I think the Seagate 10,000 RPM models will be faster with Perp technology (the 250GB 7200.10 "revised" Perps do over 100MB/s sustained :eek: ), and cheaper... Now, we just have to wait for them :)

Theres going to be 10k from seagate. What you mean by the revised perps.
Thanks

People are saying that Seagate has plans on a 10,000RPM Perpindicular drive. Nothing is 100% confirmed, but it makes 100% sense to me :)

There is a new revision of the 250GB 7200.10 7200RPM HD that use ONE 250GB Platter, and sustains approx 105MB/s!!! See link:

http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.php?t=512211

Raptors STR's are easily beaten by these "Updated" 7200.10 7200RPM drives (Yes, Raptor's access times are lower) - so it will be really intersting to see how much Seagate's 10,000 RPM Perps beat the Raptors since they will have higher STR's and comparable access times (once Seagate releases them)...

I'm still holding out for (4) of the "Revised" 500GB 7200.10 with 2x 250GB Platters for RAID-5, but there is no sign of them yet :( ...

Back