• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Weird computer problems

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Naixnaixnaix

So I put together a new computer for the first time ever, and I'm having the weirdest on and off problems with it.

I installed everything in, got to bios and got a post beep. But sometimes my computer has the weirdest problems and I'm not sure why. I was able to run windows, all the fans are spinning, I even played some games for quite a while and ran prime95 and everything seems okay.

However there are some problems, sometimes the computer:

-Doesn't show a signal from the computer to the monitor, went away after restart but weird.

-Won't shut down

-Powers on by itself (only happened once)

-Makes weird noises, for example I was listening to music and suddenly I got this loud grinding/screeching noise for like 1 second and then it went away

So I'm not sure if there's even a problem, my ram checked out on memtest, but now I have no idea where to check, I think it might be a psu or grounding issue? I've been using it fine for 3 days now playing games and such without a problem or crash but it bothers me.

My build is:
i5 3570k
Radeon HD 7950
Asrock Extreme4
Seagate barracuda 7200 hard drive

Help? :(

Just investigated a little more, it seems like the back-plate of the fan might be touching the case. Could that be shorting the case, it seems like it shouldn't since the back-plate should be in a "safe" area?

Also I'm getting errors 4f, 62, 99, A2

Look in your manual to see what those dr debug errors are. I asked about xfire because I have random black screen issues in SLI while post is up on my asrock extreme6. I've never had it happen with a single card though

I don't know about the back plate being an issue. But I would fix it regardless. I do however remember reading about the asrock boards being finicky if they weren't perfectly mounted on the standoffs. If the board is touching any of them you could get random problems.

The dr debug errors should tell you a lot

-Won't shut down

That was a nasty Windows bug, which was a pandemic on Crotched Mountain Rehabilitation Center PCs that affected Windows 95 and Windows 98. That bug was squashed with a hotfix long before Windows 98 was EOL'ed.
Windows 98 extended support ended in 2006.

I'm not aware of such bug with Windows 2000 and later.

-Powers on by itself (only happened once)

Disable "Wake on LAN" in the BIOS.

Okay now I'm getting

(A7) Me FW Downgrade - Request MeSpiLock Failed

Error sending End Of Post message to ME

Then it boots to windows? I don't even know what is going on anymore

Oh god it just doesn't stop

Just now my computer tried to boot when I pressed the power button, led flashed, didn't boot, then about a second later booted up

Sounds like a short somewhere...

Take it apart. Completely.

Put the motherboard in or on a non-glossy cardboard box.

Reassemble carefully

Sounds like you have a bad motherboard. I would update the Bios then pull the board out of the case and run it on the desktop on the box it came in.

There's no real point in breadboarding it because the problems are so far between and random it wouldn't tell me anything.

I just assembled a new PC Monday and I am having similar issues, even breadboarding it. Here are my specs:

4th Gen i7-4770k
ASUS Maximus VI Formula mobo
Geforce GTX 760
16GB of Patriot Viper 3 2133 RAM (1.5v)

I tried it with minimal hardware installed, cleared the CMOS, tried again, updated the BIOS, tried again, cleared CMOS, tried again, same issues. I ended up RMA'ing the mobo back to Newegg yesterday.

Have you had any luck with this issue?

P.S.
I just realized this thread is almost a year old, but I haven't found a good answer for the issues I was having or a fix for them and I am curious. I hate not knowing why something doesn't work right :)

A new thread will likely serve you better.
That said, what power supply do you have?

A new thread will likely serve you better.
That said, what power supply do you have?

I have an XFX Pro 1000w PSU. It was in my old gaming rig that this new one will be replacing.

I may start up a new thread, didn't think about it earlier... My head feels like it's going to explode right now :-(

Your PSU is better in all aspects than an AX860 IMO. That would be a downgrade.
It also is almost certainly not the root of your problem.

Can you please list all of the symptoms you're having for us?

Well, it was a fresh build, didn't even get to install Windows but here is what I noticed.

1 - after powering on the system, the fans would spin up then everything would shutdown, then start back up and run.

2 - towards the end of post, I would get the ME FW Downgrade, request MeSpiLock failed message followed by a static looking white line across the screen, then a failed to send system halt message.

Both symptoms happened in the case and while breadboarded everytime I tried to boot the system up, even after I updated the bios.

Back