• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Weird i7 multiplier drops under load

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

drivingon9

Hi all,

I'm trying to test my my i7 950's OC limits (on a p6tdv2), and am hitting a weird issue with multiplier drops. I'd done hours of searching on the web, but haven't been able to find an answer, so I've come here in hopes of finding someone that can help me out.

I running at a 22x cpu multiplier with 190 bclk, which seems to be fairly stable for me. The issue that I'm seeing is that, while stress testing, the multiplier periodically drops down to 12x, then back up.

This appears to be indicative of a typical thermal throttle, but what's strange is that my max temps are right around 69-73 (as reported by real temp, hw monitor, asus bios tools, and core temps). Again, this is all under full load, during a prime95 run (i.e. doubtful to be a power saving option). It'll drop to 12x, then back up to 22x (after a minute, or two), stay there for a bit, then drop back down to 12x.

Anyone have any clues as to what could be going wrong, or what I could try?
Any hints would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

You didn't mention if C1E was actually enabled or not.
True, multi should only drop under IDLE when C1E is enabled, but all the same check to see if it's on and then shut it off if you are actively overclocking. Actually, just disable everything on that screen(unless you need HT enabled for whatever reason).
Having your frequency and vcore jumping all over the place is the last thing you need when trying to find a stable overclock.

Thanks for the reply.

C1E, Speedstep, and c-state are all disabled. I have HT enabled right now, but I had seen the same issue when it was off.

See if there is a new BIOS available for your board. That shouldn't matter for an X58 board since I7's is all that they support, but it doesn't hurt to try.

Back