• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

weird oc problem

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

intox

yesterday i started to oc my cpu for the first time with my new sp-97. at stock speed temps are 25 idle and about 35 load. i oced to 2050mhz, everything booted ok, but when i am typing, the music skips on winamp, which does not happen at stock speeds. it also did not happen when i used the amd stock heatsink. these speeds were obviously prime95 stable. im not sure if it is necessarily the cpu thats doing this. im thinking that it might be some interference with the soundstorm on my mobo. any help would be great thanks

the soundstorm chips are notorious for getting hot and causing crackling or popping in the sound. never heard of it actually skipping tho. most peeps put a heatsink on the southbridge to remedy it tho. when you say skip do you mean it will skip like if hit my cd player or it skips as if there are scratches on a disc? what kind of skipping?

yeah, i never had that problem, but i've heard of many others that have. i cool my southbridge anyway. that way, it's just one less problem you'll have to bother with when ocing. you might want to replace the stock nb cooler. they tend often die within a month or so of getting the board (mine did, and i've read of many others). if you would like to replace it now, i suggest the vantec iceberq chipset cooler - http://www.svc.com/vansolcopvga.html. it includes 2 extra heatsinks. when i replaced my nb cooler, i just added one of the extra heatsinks onto the sb. that way, i never have to worry about my sound giving me problems.

the skips are very quick, i guess similar to a cd player skip, but they only happen when i am typing, which is what i found really weird, and these are mp3 files. i didnt think heat would be an issue yet because i only pushed it to 2.05ghz. maybe increasing chipset voltage would help?
also that chipset sink looks like the stock one, except its copper. also ive had mine for a year almost and it hasnt shown any signs of dying. im starting to think its strictly a sb issue, but ill look into that heatsink/bundle thing, looks like a pretty good deal :p

Last edited:
intox said:
also that chipset sink looks like the stock one, except its copper.

If you purchased that iceberq copper chipset cooler that's on your nb then you should have two smaller aluminum heatsinks also.... stick either one on the sb with the supplied thermal tape and you should be all set.

You could buy a sound card and disable the onboard sound so chipset doesnt have as much load. I had the same thing happen to me.

Actually I have the same problem, sometimes when i boot, MBM5 won't read the CPU speed correctly, and if I type something then any sounds skip. if I press and hold a key, instead of smoothly displaying more and more letters on the screen its jumpy and a bit slow. The system clock also starts to hurry, and if I hold Ctrl or Shift keys and start to move my mouse in circles, it just sort of jumps off to some corner of the screen. Its really weird. It doesn't seem to happen if i do a warm reboot when the system has not been under any load for a while and the ambient temp is cool. I'm suspecting its the SB overheating. Thing is I got a NF7 not NF7-S, I don't even have soundstorm. I got a 486 heatsink laying around, I wonder if its worth the effort mounting a fan on that as well?
Do you guys know where I could get some thermal tape (I live in Israel, so the place should ship international), I don't want to use super glue to hold the heatsink to the SB.

i actually have the stock heatsink on my nb, im just saying it looks the same as the vantec one, just not copper. sorry for the confusion on that one. and i dont really have money for a sound card, im trying desperately to save up for a car, so any major purchases are on hold.

I guess you could get a 486 heatsink and stick it on the SB, the SoundStorm is in the SB, not NB.

change your IRQ management to Advanced Comfiguration and Power Interface (by default it is Uniprocessor PC):

start->settings->control panel->system->system->hardware->device manager->expand computer->right click->properties on Uniprocessor PC->driver->Update Driver->advanced,next->Tick "Don't Search. I will choose the driver to install->Highlight Advanced COnfiguration and Power Interface (ACPI) PC,next-> confirm any other prompts, it will ask you to reboot after install. when the system comes back up, it may ask you to reboot one more time while reorganizing IRQ's. reboot if it asks you, then when your back up your sound skipping should be gone.

good luck.

thanks for that pershoot ill def try it, but are there any risks involved? i dont wanna mess up my comp, i dont have time to fix it till some type of holidays, damn school. have you done this yourself?

Last edited:
no risk. yes i run with advanced configuration power interface IRQ management. without it, my sound would skip.

ok it didnt work. i changed it and rebooted but once it got to the boot screen, it just stayed there, the bar kept moving but it stayed put. i went into safe mode and it booted fine, gave me the second reboot message so i was fine. but once again, same problem. i tried to change it back but the only thing there was Standard PC. so i changed to that and booted successfully but all of my components had to be recognized and ati drivers did not work. i then did a system restore and that got everything back to normal. so any ideas on why this went wrong? thank god for system restore, the only thing i love about winxp :p

Back