• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Weird water color

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Nepoxx

Hi guys,

I've had a watercooled system for a while and never had any issues. The current fluid in my loop has been there for a little under a year now, with the PC running almost 24/7. The liquid has a strange yellow tinge (I'm colorblind, could be green) to it, what could it be and what can I do to prevent it in the future? Is purging the liquid and refilling going to solve this or can this be a corrosion issue?

The liquid I have is clear Feser One.

This is my radiator: http://www.xs-pc.com/radiators-ex-series/ex280-dual-fan-radiator (copper/brass core)
My CPU block: http://www.ekwb.com/shop/blocks/cpu-blocks/supremacy/ek-supremacy-acetal.html (Acetal)
My GPU block: http://www.ekwb.com/shop/ek-fc7970.html (Acetal Nickel)

Here's a picture:

IMG_20150307_174540.jpg

Any suggestions are appreciated :)

Thanks!

:welcome: to OCFs.

To me the top half looks fine and the bottom half has a slight tint but it could be the reflection of the background. I used to use Feser fluid and a different tubing (I think it was Feser as well) that I'm using now as I was getting plasticize and clouding issues that had a slight yellow tint to it. Not sure what tubing you're using but if it was me I'd be on what I have now, PrimoChill Advanced LRT tubing and distilled water with a biocide (silver killcoil or deadwater). I used to use clear Feser One but got rid of it and the tubing as I haven't looked back ever since.

I just flush the system every 6 months and do a complete tear down and clean up annually as always advised. Some have kept their systems going for years with no issues but that isn't recommended.

The water is indeed cloudy, it depends on the angle of viewing and lighting of course. I'm overdue for a full flush, so I'll do that. Any recommendations for cleaning? I'm reading a lot of conflicting information on cleaning (vinegar with distilled water, etc.).

I would say do a 25% white vinegar/distilled water for flushing, and get a toothbrush if doing a full teardown and use either white vinegar, lemon juice, ketchup, or other resources that provide the needed cleaning power for cleaning the blocks.

I just flush it with distilled water and fill her back up. If I believe there is a reduction in flow or some type of buildup, I would than do a complete tear down and use the ingredients if needed as previously stated.

Since the water still looks clear it tends to suggest that you don't have any plasticiser or other buildup issues - What is your tubing like?

It may just be some soldering flux residue from your radiator which has dissolved in the water over time - this would give it a slight yellow tint.

As Jack stated - If you are not having any temp/flow issues I would simply drain then give it a good flush with distilled [maybe repeat once or twice] then refill with your preferred coolant.

I prefer to not use anything like vinegar etc when flushing as this can cause you problems down the track if you cannot remove 100% of the vinegar from your loop.

As Jack stated - If you are not having any temp/flow issues I would simply drain then give it a good flush with distilled [maybe repeat once or twice] then refill with your preferred coolant.

I prefer to not use anything like vinegar etc when flushing as this can cause you problems down the track if you cannot remove 100% of the vinegar from your loop.

+1 :thup:

Back