• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

well Here is what my system will be

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I think you are misunderstanding what the guys are saying.
For storage, go for the HDD's.
There is no downside adding an SSD to install your OS (windows) and main programs (Adobe stuff).
Your computer will boot way faster and your programs will open and run faster.
Save your files and store on the HDD's.
No one is suggesting you get rid of the HDD's. Just add a 250 gig SSD.

Yes that does make it clear,you don't need a lot storage for the OS, Thanks for explaining that.Sorry I didn't catch on sooner what you were saying about the SSD

I hope that makes it a little clearer.

At the end of the day, the choices you make on your build are your own. Nobody will be disappointed with you, or withhold advice. It's not how it works here. :)

Good morning to all,

I wanted to apologize to everyone who were trying to help me but because I didn't understand in what context your advice was being given I didn't understand iy. Now that I understand that using a SDD for my OS drive, that alone makes me understand what everyone was trying to get through my head.......lol

So once again I want to say I am sorry for not understanding what you were saying to me. I'm not some young techie I'm 58 and I know just enough about building computer to build one and leave it default and have it work fine.

I am still confused about a few things, I will point them out and maybe the person who posted the following things can explain to me in a more detailed explanation.

Silver_Pharaoh: you said "Why not trade some of that storage space for a 970 or a 980 and be good for years to come? " can you please explain what you meant by saying the above statement, I not sure what you meant by the "970 or a 980"

EarthDog: you said the following that I didn't know what you meant,
"In one of his other build threads, there are a couple all closely related, he mentioned it. "

"I don't see a point in the M7H either for his needs" I don't understand what you meant when you used the term of "M7H"

Besides what I just posted which I am sure those people will explain what they were saying to me.

Now for the most part I understand now what everyone was trying to tell me. My next update will be a SSD for my OS drive, I'm so use to using what some call "Spinners" that I have no way to measure how fast a SSD would be over what I am using now but I do plan to get a SSD sooner rather than later now that I get what you were trying to tell me.

I'm not a young gamer or techie, I'm a 58 year old guy who knows just enough to build a computer that works and sometimes enough to get myself in trouble.

Once again I thank everyone for replying and trying to help me.

Ron

Hi Ron, thanks for the nice reply :)

Glad you understand what we were suggesting regarding the SSD now, definitely not for storage :)

Regarding Silver_Pharoah's post, the 970 and 980 are video cards. As you said earlier, you aren't a gamer, so you can ignore that :)

Earth_Dog is referring to possibly you having another thread dedicated to build questions, I'm unsure without looking through your post history :shrug:

M7H is short for the maximus 7 hero (the motherboard that you bought). It comes loaded with features that are made for overclocking and gaming, if you don't do either of those things (as you said earlier), spending that extra $100 on this motherboard is a waste of money (from our perspectives).

I hope that answers your questions.

Also, you need a decennial badge!

Hi Ron, thanks for the nice reply :)

Glad you understand what we were suggesting regarding the SSD now, definitely not for storage :)

Regarding Silver_Pharoah's post, the 970 and 980 are video cards. As you said earlier, you aren't a gamer, so you can ignore that :)

Earth_Dog is referring to possibly you having another thread dedicated to build questions, I'm unsure without looking through your post history :shrug:

M7H is short for the maximus 7 hero (the motherboard that you bought). It comes loaded with features that are made for overclocking and gaming, if you don't do either of those things (as you said earlier), spending that extra $100 on this motherboard is a waste of money (from our perspectives).

I hope that answers your questions.

Also, you need a decennial badge!

Yes I understand everything much better now Janus67, thanks for explaining things
, it all makes sense to me now. my current video card the MSI 8600GTS filled every need I have had over the last 4 years, I am sure that the new card will be much better than the old MSI one.

Many times in chat or posting on a forum the replying person is replying to a post that depending on his or her mood can be taken several ways. If someone would create a program that instead of typing you can hear that person's voice. It would help a person to understand the mood of a person when they hear that post and the OP would hear the reply.

There would be less confusion, of course I am just thinking as I type. If someone creates this technology at least give me a mention in the fine print............lol I'm being facetious

since I am about to complete build rather than starting a new thread I will ask a question about the MB I have.

If someone has the Hero 6 or 7 is there anything besides installing the drivers on the disk that comes with the MB or even the newer drivers on the companies website. Please keep in mind I don;t want to overclock I just want to make sure the MB has everything in case someday I might want to overclock, Then I will have what I will need.

At this point I just want the basics so that the MB runs without any issues.

Thanks
Ron

I would get the latest from the website as the ones on the disk are very likely out of date. So beyond that and video card drivers (download from nvidia) you should be good to go.

Download the drivers from the ASUS website. All you need are the drivers, you can ignore the utilites if you like (you can also install them, but you don't have to).

that's going to be a very nice build for just about anything you might like to do.
when you upgrade to an ssd, don't bench mark it in any way, just slather the os on it and fire that rig up, you will be so happy at the boot times and program loading, it's awesome!!!!
yea, you bought some over kill, I do that a little bit, I use the asrock extreme 9 when a 4 would do the job rather well, it's a good thing.

post a few picks!!!!!!!!

I also lean towards Ron's way of being.

I would rather have an option and not use it, as opposed to need an option and not have it.

You might want to look at getting a 750 GPU. It's a newer generation (Maxwell), meaning that it will support more features and run cooler. Something that would probably be of particular use is that Maxwell adds VDPAU E, which means it is more tolerant of errors when decoding video streams.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nvidia_PureVideo
Nvidia VDPAU Feature Sets
Feature Set E

Similar to feature set D but added support for decoding H.264 with a resolution of up to 4096 × 4096 and MPEG-1/MPEG-2 with a resolution of up to 4080 × 4080 pixels. GPUs with VDPAU feature set E support an enhanced error concealment mode which provides more robust error handling when decoding corrupted video streams.
The 960 upgrades you to VDPAU F, which adds HEVC support, but the extra $100 or so is hard to justify if you don't have another use for the GPU.

Well I finally got my system built, up and running fine. I got all the parts in on the 13th of March. Unfortunately my Father In-Law passed away on the !5th so everything was put on hold. I t is running fine, however I doubt I have my Bois set up to give me a 5th of what my system could be working at but that is OK I always buy to make sure I have things that I might need someday rather than need something and not have it. I always purchase overkill.. Someone asked for a few images but nothing different than any other system with the same parts. The wires and messy but that is fine with me, everything works fine.

Back