• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

wewt l33t temps just by moving fans

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

hippopotumus

Registered
omg the vantec tornado 80x80x38 is THE LOUDEST mofo i've ever heard in my life. its like a train. but it lowered my system temp a few degrees just by putting that as my side intake. i switched fans around, i lowered system to 29C from 34C, w/o putting the tornado in yet. i'm gonna use that on my hs. i'm moving my computer downstairs to the basement, where there's not heat, and its no hotter then 68F at peak temps. i figure its bout 60F or less during winter.

bottom line- if you have hot temps, switch fans around, after an hour of testing i managed to lower system temps 5C and cpu went down a degree.

2nd bottom line- never buy a vantec tornado enless you don't care bout noise. its serisouly louder then my hairdryer

and finally a Q. what kinda thermometer should i get for monitoring inside temps/videocard, anything else..

lol, I have a similar Sunon 80mm (84cfm) fan on my SK7. You might try the 7v mod on it. I did that it its sooooo much quieter and only raised temps 1-2C. Still much better then the other 80mm fans I tried

hippopotumus said:

and finally a Q. what kinda thermometer should i get for monitoring inside temps/videocard, anything else..

For temp monitors try the Vantec Nexus Multi panel. It will monitor 3 temps, control your screammin tornado and has usb/1394 ports. Plus it just looks good.

PS-- The tornado is named quite well if you ask me.

Re: Re: wewt l33t temps just by moving fans

Tismedt said:

For temp monitors try the Vantec Nexus Multi panel. It will monitor 3 temps, control your screammin tornado and has usb/1394 ports. Plus it just looks good.

PS-- The tornado is named quite well if you ask me.

you cant use the nexus multipanel with the tornado since you have to plug a 3 pin fan to it so the reo controls the speed. I personaly bought a 3 pin high output panaflo (best 3 pin fan for around 40CFM and quiet).

Tornado must use either a strong reobus or a 7v mod, the 7v mod is the simplest mod ive ever done to a computer component so far...

Gnufsh said:
The delta 80cfm 80mm fans have 3-pin plugs

ouch!!! antin00b stuff, that thing would fry a mobo easily. Anyway, i wouldnt use that screaming speed ever, thats why i picked panaflo... But maybe that thing gets better performance since its 80x80x38 not 80x80x25

Digital doc, fanbus, compunurse. Sorry I still don't like the Nexus ;) Their other fan bus look's pretty cool.

-Toysrme

Re: Re: Re: wewt l33t temps just by moving fans

PhobMX said:

you cant use the nexus multipanel with the tornado since you have to plug a 3 pin fan to it so the reo controls the speed. I personaly bought a 3 pin high output panaflo (best 3 pin fan for around 40CFM and quiet).

Tornado must use either a strong reobus or a 7v mod, the 7v mod is the simplest mod ive ever done to a computer component so far...

my tornado has 3pin plug?? the one that would connect to mobo is 3 pins..it has that

The delta 80cfm 80mm fans have 3-pin plugs ..
ouch!!! antin00b stuff, that thing would fry a mobo easily.

plugging a powerful fan to mobo is bad?

Re: Re: Re: Re: wewt l33t temps just by moving fans

hippopotumus said:

my tornado has 3pin plug?? the one that would connect to mobo is 3 pins..it has that

plugging a powerful fan to mobo is bad?

Yep. The headers only support so much in terms of amps that if you put it in, you're taking a risk of blowing the header and perhaps damage the motherboard as well.

Airflow plays a big role in an overclocker's computer. I'm glad it worked out good for you ;)

Back