• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

What a FX 4300 can really achive?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

alexelcaza

I have managed to overclock and overvoltage an FX 4300 on a asrock 970 pro3 r.2 to 5.2 GHz and 1.6v with air cooling
Is there a way i could get it to any more OC?

more cooling is the answer.
the colder you can keep the chip the harder you can lean on it.

Are you sure tat is a stable overclock? What kid of stress testing have you done? Will it pass the Prime95 blend stress est for two hours?

Do you intend to run it on 1.6 vcore 24/7? That's certainly more juice than I'd be comfortable with.

Ln2. Mine hit 7685mhz.

Not voltage restriction, always cooling restricted.

5.2ghz stable? Meh thats in the eye of beholders here. But looks accurate 1.6v for the clocks. Running hot will just shorten the life cycle while running high volts.

Ln2. Mine hit 7685mhz.

Not voltage restriction, always cooling restricted.

5.2ghz stable? Meh thats in the eye of beholders here. But looks accurate 1.6v for the clocks. Running hot will just shorten the life cycle while running high volts.

At That voltage I think the lifespan of the chip will be reduced even if his temps are well controlled. Beyond a certain point, it's not just heat that matters.

Well i have not run prime95 on it i did just play beamng.drive for like 30m and then checked the max temp it reached with hwmonitor and it only got to 55c max with a katana 4 and thermal grizzly kryonaut thermal paste im thinking of adding another fan to the katana that would solve the cooling problem

I'm concerned over the motherboard my self. I doubt it will let you pass P95. I wouldn't be surprised if it's throttling you TBH. If 3.8 is too weak maybe aim for something in the 4.5 range. If that motherboard goes it can kill other parts of the system. Namely the CPU

Well sonetimes i feel like 3.8 GHz is too weak what i should do then?

If 5.2 is too high... and 3.8 is too weak... 4.5 should be a magic number o_O

That aside, it sounds like you tried the "youtube" method of overclocking, maxing the juice and seeing how far that will take you. If youre gonna do it, do it properly. Start by finding your P state at stock voltage (aka, reset everything, and see how your clock speed gets without adding any voltage. Not looking for super stability, just the point where you need to even consider adding voltage).

So from there, follow any of our lovely guides here. For gaming uses, 2 hours on p95 feels to be more than plenty.

For the FX chips, 1.4v is a good 24/7 number, but 1.45 if you need to squeeze out just a little extra. Anything over 1.5 for more than short sprints is really asking for trouble. You're not speaking to "ah maybe they know". You're speaking to people here that have destroyed motherboards and cpu's. Turn your voltage way down and start over.

- - - Updated - - -

I'm concerned over the motherboard my self. I doubt it will let you pass P95. I wouldn't be surprised if it's throttling you TBH. If 3.8 is too weak maybe aim for something in the 4.5 range. If that motherboard goes it can kill other parts of the system. Namely the CPU

tdp on the 4300's is, admittedly, far lower than the 8300's. Im willing to bet if he had an 8 or even 6 core in there, something would be toast though...

Have you seen the board? 4+1 phase, no heatsinks...5.2GHz and 1.6V...

That board will fold without supplemental cooling. Id bet money says that CPU is sniffing 200W at that speed/voltage considering its a 95W CPU to start.

It can get to 4.3 with stock voltage i think i will not OC too much unless its for benchmarks

- - - Updated - - -

Youtube method? What do you mean?

I did not simply max it and i still have not maxed the voltage / freq / base clock i have spent some time finding the highest stable oc that does not make the cpu set on fire

Have a read through the guide in my sig. I wouldn't push that board too far and as I said you're likely throttling. When throttling you're not getting the performance you think you are. The clocks drop along with voltage. It's a safeguard built into the board to keep it from overheating over overpowering and burning up

THere are more reasons than temperatures to cause throttling...

For example, VRM temperatures and loads. ;)

OH forgot about VRMs i should place some heatsinks on it but i think its not worth it
And i will get an AM4 motherboard when zen processors are out

OH forgot about VRMs i should place some heatsinks on it but i think its not worth it
Your choice... but you are leaving yourself at a greater risk by doing so. You don't even know if you are throttling. Why not do your due diligence and then decide? You are literally surrounded by 'those in the know' but are deliberately choosing to disregard the advice...

... which is ok of course, but, you will continue to be at risk and, mroe likely than not, are already seeing throttling at that high end clockspeed and voltage.

Back