• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

What apps for new build?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Nycatt

Registered
Just completed my building and I want to start installing some apps. What software do you guys suggest for the following tasks.

DVD/Bluray Player and Burner

Video Editing

Photo Editing

Nero has a nice bluray burning & playing software.

Lightroom is great for basic photo editing and organizing.

Video editing just depends on what you can afford and what you need it to do. There are cheapo ones and high dollar ones. I use both Pinnacle Studio HD and Adobe Premiere Elements 10.

DVD/Bluray Player, there is only one Blu-ray player to speak of unfortunately. PowerDVD.
Arcsoft is dead and WinDVD is not as good apparently: http://www.arcsoft.com/forum/forum_...that-tmt-is-dead-what-is-your-favorite-player

Freeware Blu-ray players cannot play the Blu-ray menus, just the content and only if it is not protected. Personal opinions vary on freeware players but I like Daum PotPlayer and have recently made a custom interface for it: http://www.overclockers.com/forums/...eo-player-DAUM-PotPlayer-skin-customizations?

For burning, I use Nero 8 on my Windows 8 because I hear subsequent versions are a bloatware nightmare. ImgBurn freeware is good freeware.

Last edited:
Video editing just depends on what you can afford and what you need it to do. There are cheapo ones and high dollar ones. I use both Pinnacle Studio HD and Adobe Premiere Elements 10.

Which one of the two that you use is better, easier and has more features.

The more features, the more complicated to use. Premiere 10 is probably easier to use, but Pinnacle has more features. Premiere 10 has a good feature set too and is probably plenty adequate for the vast majority of people.

Sony Vegas for video editing is also a contender. VideoReDo new version coming out soon is also good for quick editing and saving as different file formats.

Back