• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

What are some Mistakes that you have done that have fried your PC?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Luckily... nothing yet.

...wait, i take that back. I didnt use clamps on my water cooling and after i threw an additional 500w in the loop it heated them up to be more pliable and popped off showering tbe 295x2 i jjst put in. In the end, it didnt die... but it shut the computer down and didnt work until i broke it down and cleaned it up.

Moved from power supply section to general hardware....

When I was a poor student, I spent all my savings on a Radeon 5970 for Bitcoin mining. After about a week of mining I noticed the VRMs were getting very hot. I removed the cooler and thermal pads, and since I didn't have any new thermal pads and I couldn't get any in this country, I used thermal paste instead. Result: The VRMs blew due to insufficient contact between them and the heatsink.

I was VERY upset. Luckily, the price of Bitcoins increased dramatically and I walked away with over $US8,000 in my bank account so the card paid for itself (and then some) after just a week of mining!

Killed a MB not leak testing .
Killed a few GFx cards from vmoding .
Killed a few CPUs back in the day before IHS's by cracking the bare die .
Crappy Psu took out ram mb and cpu .

Killed two i7 k CPUs trying to go naked (without the IHS).

Buggered up a z97 ASRock motherboard trying to clean thermal paste from socket pins. Found out that tissues and rags snag those pins very easily.

Damaged a nice Gigabyte socket AM2+ overclocker's board by trying to pry off the Cooler back plate with a screwdriver. Damaged traces to the RAM sockets and after that only one socket was usable.

I casually bumped my computer at some point and the motherboard didn't like it enough to be gone...So not technically frying but it hurts all the same!

Killed several Tbreds (462) & P4's (478) overvolting/overclocking
Killed several boards with bad vmods
Killed several video cards overvolting/overclocking
Killed a power supply when I knocked my beer over while overclocking
Smashed a new 22" WS monitor while moving it. Banged it against the door knob :rolleyes:
Forgot to leak test one of my watercooling setups. Resullted in a swimming pool in my case along with killing board.

Back