• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

What can I do with a Server?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

MechE

Can I use it to run multiple programs and fully use my 8-Core CPU? Is there any benefit to having it on a personal computer? What's the difference between Windows Server vs SQL server?

Any insight would be appreciated, my searches are leaving my with more questions and less answers so far.

Can I use it to run multiple programs and fully use my 8-Core CPU? Is there any benefit to having it on a personal computer? What's the difference between Windows Server vs SQL server?

Any insight would be appreciated, my searches are leaving my with more questions and less answers so far.

The term 'server' is pretty generic and can be used to describe a lot of things. Any machine classified as a 'server' can most likely be used as your personal computer, but it might not be practical (ie, servers are generally louder and consume more power). A little context around what you're asking about specifically might help. :)

Windows Server is an operating system (much like XP, 7, 8, etc), and SQL Server is an application that runs on Windows that hosts a database.

So if I ran Windows Server 2012 on my PC as my OS, can it multi-task better than Windows 7? I have access to Windows Server 2012 and I'm thinking that if there is a good reason to, I'll see if I can do a dual boot with it.

So if I ran Windows Server 2012 on my PC as my OS, can it multi-task better than Windows 7? I have access to Windows Server 2012 and I'm thinking that if there is a good reason to, I'll see if I can do a dual boot with it.

No, you wouldn't gain anything at all. In fact, you'd probably lose performance simply due to the overhead required for a more robust OS.

You have money to blow on Server 2012? You wouldn't tap into even a fraction of it's tools. As there is no reason to in most home settings.

Most people use them at home as file/media storage. Or to stream either. Which can be done with a lot of free/cheap alternative operating systems out there.

I get it for free as a student, figured I may as well get it and see what I can learn by tinkering with it.

Back