• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

What cell phone is everyone using?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Went from an Iphone 5S to an Iphone 8+ 64GB back in March. I considered the flagship versions but found a store selling the 8+ for $400 + tax and couldn't pass it up.

I went from the iPhone 7+, to the iPhone 10 max. Only upgraded because o2 made a offerer I couldn’t refuse. They basically gifted me £200+ and the phone which I sold for £450 just to upgrade to the new one.

Nexus 5 for myself and my wife has a Nexus 5. I suppose that we don't use them too much but I take good enough pictures with it, we use google maps when wandering a new city like Chicago or philly or DC or Minneapolis, etc. We use the hell out of yelp to find good hole in the wall places to eat, check email and all that. We just haven't found this 2013 era phone to be slow. It does what we want.

Galaxy S9. The missus and I got one of the close-out deals at Verizon when the S10 was about to be introduced and they were clearing the shelves; two for $800. Love the fast charging feature, battery goes for days in standby/light use mode as well. Impressed with the camera. I'm light on apps/music/etc. so I've got 46Gb of the 64Gb it came with still available.

Pixel 3 XL. We have so many choices available to us now I don't think you can really go wrong with the majority of selection out there.

I think the new bang-for-the-buck android phone just became the Pixel 3a/3aXL for about $400 or so. I'm holding onto my Pixel gen1 XL until I see what the Pixel 4 is like this fall.

Moto Z2 Force for my personal phone, Moto e4 for my work phone. Like the z2 as I have the Incepo battery pack on there now but can swap it for the hasselbach mod in a pinch, turn it into a decent point & shoot, complete with optical zoom. The e4 is good because it's cheap, gets can get a solid 2 1/2 - 3 days on a charge if I'm not banging on it, cheap, small enough to fit in a pocket without getting in the way, and cheap.

Huawei anything, for security of course (jk). Actually the one highend phone I bought direct from china made me think twice about doing it again. I completely disabled google and it refused to boot. Can't trust google nor the chinese PERIOD. One+3t now and based upon how frickin easy it was to root and mod I will be getting another when this one dies.

Well I was tempted to try the new OP 7Pro, but I wasn't sure about it's support on Verizon (specifically CDMA 3g etc, as I live in a rural area and sometimes I don't have good LTE coverage). FWIW the rep I spoke with on the OP website chat states that it was supported, and the bands are listed in the specs. (They're also listed in the specs for the 6t though, and that phone does not support CDMA on Vzn). Long story short, I was having more issues with the Nexus 6 and didn't want to wait for shipment, so I went to a brick and mortar.

I ended up going with the Pixel 3a, and so far I'm very happy with it. Unlocking the bootloader is an option in the settings once you enable developer options, although for now I'm going to stick with the vanilla OS.

Currently using an Alcatel Raven A574BL. Not the priciest, doesn't make me breakfast nor does it spy on my hot neighbor ( ;) ), but it works. And the best part is it's FREEEEE! I never recieve a cellphone bill ever. Being an old fart has it's perks :D

Maybe I'm being spied on by big brother? That's why it's free? :rofl:

Being an old fart has it's perks

If you're old, I'm ancient. I prefer to think others are...inexperienced. :D
Some advantages to "being experienced":
A) Never any reruns on TV and no remakes in theaters.
B)Always something new to wear in the closet
C)Life is a vacation where you're always meeting new people (doctors) and traveling (to the bathroom and the doctor's)
D)Your children are now old enough for you to annoy them for a change.
E)People are genuinely concerned when you fall down, instead of laughing at you.
F)Forums you don't remember joining give you blue stars and make allowances for the occasional OT rambles about aging....... :rofl:

Any phone with Firefox, because extensions like uBlock Origin are good and Android Firefox can actually use extensions, unlike Chrome.

I have a Motorola X4, which apparently also has an "Android One" version, so I got updated to 8 and 8.1 and now 9 quite quickly after they were released, compared to my previous LG which took months after Google's release to even hear news of getting an update. Will be sticking with models that have "One" variants in the future just for the updates. Being around $100 is nice, too.

I'm still using an iPhone 7 in a Mous Aramid CF case. Got the battery replaced through apple care back in December, and I just cant bring myself to spend on a new one. The battery is at 94% capacity, so it should be ok for another year. It does what I need it to. I was playing with my old 5s the other day, and I do miss the smaller phone, its just so much easier to handle, and one handed typing is beautiful.

Galaxy J7 (2017). It was really cheap compared to a let's say S10 but it's still fast enough and offers enough features for me because I'm not a smartphone geek, just using my free spins for play'n go slots when I'm on the move. In general I'm really satisfied with Samsung products.

Last edited:
Already posted this in the general hardware thread but took advantage of the G6/Z4 deal from Motorola, using the Z4 to upgrade my personal phone and G6 to upgrade my work phone.

The Z4 is a sidestep/slight downgrade horsepower wise from the Z2 force I had been using (Snapdragon 835 to 645) but still seems just as quick - not that I do anything on the go to really hammer my phones anyway. Main upsides being the z4 has a glass panel OLED screen (vs. the POLED screen in the Z2 which was a scratch magnet), they added back the 3.5mm jack, and battery is ~30% bigger (~2750mAH to 3600mAH).

The G6 actually is pretty decent on its own for a sub-$200 phone. Decent screen that's fairly sharp and it's "fast enough". Some lag when I first started it and Android had to update pretty much anything, but reasonably smooth for email/MS Teams/travel apps (car rental, hotel, and air travel related). Also if I switch to speaker phone I can actually hear it from across the room now.

I *just* upgraded to the Pixel 3. Well my wife did. I'm still using the Nexus 5 until my carrier can send me the proper sim card for mine. Since the Pixel 4 is coming, the Pixel 3 was reduced by $300 so.... I pulled the trigger.

Back