• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

What cell phone is everyone using?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Chinese stuff mainly (Huawei, Xiaomi), changing often because I lose/break my phones on quarterly basis (might have to look in my early childhood about that though...). Currently using a Honor 10, before a Honor 8X, before a Redmi 7, and before a Honor 9 (for the current year).

I am still using a Pixel 2 XL 128GB... I tried both the Pixel 3 and now the Pixel 4 XL ...but did not know what to do with the P2...so passed the other two on to the daughter and SIL...

There were a couple apps that did not work with Face unlock. The cameras on all 3 are sweet. I also like getting security updates around the 5th of each month. One of the main reasons I stick with Google. 0% financing works as well.

Pixel 4 XL for the next two years. I love it. The naysaying reviews are way too harsh IMHO.

That said, I would not recommend the Pixel 4 due to its smaller battery. I haven't ever had trouble with the XL, but the small one would definitely concern me.

I'm running a huawei P30, upgraded from my p10 that I sent on to my girl, she loves it, it replaced her samsung galaxy ace 2...and I wonder why she's on it so much now :D

iPhone 6S and Motorola X Pure edition myself.
Really need to update my devices as the iPhone is on its last SW update and my Moto is already on obsolete software.
Debating iPhone 11 Pro or iPhone Xr and not really sure on the android side except that generally speaking I dislike custom launchers and thus tend to shy away from Samsung and LG.

What cell are you guys using and do you like it? I recently bought the Samsung Galaxy s10e. Dumb decision by me since I always have problems with Samsung phones, but I figure the new UI might be better. It is better than the old one but still not what I expected for $800. After I pay it off in a few months I'm thinking of selling it for a Razer Phone 2. Anyone have experience with that one? How is it?

After searching high and low for an affordable phone that would fit in my pocket, I now use an iPhone SE. Picked up a couple for ~$95/ea with 64Gb RAM. Till date, this seems like the best small phone made. I also found a Droid 2 in the scrap heap, which I use in the lab. The Droid 2 has no IR filter on the camera (or a poor one at best), which lets me use it as a dirt cheap IR laser-spot visualizer. :)

Still rocking the droid turbo 2 i bought 4.5 years ago when it came out. Dropped it in the toilet once and on the ground who knows how many times. The unbreakable screen is legit. Motorola makes a good product. I finally gave in and spent $70 for a new battery since the charge wasn't lasting like it used to. I hope it never dies.

Picked up a pixel 4 xl around Black Friday. Had been solid. A good improvement over my first gen pixel xl

Still using my Pixel 2. Battery is starting to show it's age but I still get a full day out of it so not that bad. As my first Android phone I can't be more happy with it though.

I do plan on getting the Pixel 4a unless something odd happens with it.

Just got an Asus Zenfone 6 (256 GB / 8 GB) yesterday. With the flip camera and rear fingerprint reader it is all screen. No notch, no hole, no bar, just screen. Also updated to Android 10, and is on the February security patch, so not too behind on security updates. So far so good, and much more unlikely to run out of space than my the Moto x4's 32 GB where I recently got into weekly cleanup of storage (browser cache, photos, Pandora/Spotify caches, Google Docs caches, etc) because it kept running out.

FWIW it's a very nice phone. (I got the 8GB/256GB on eBay for under $600 before tax.)
  • IT HAS A HEADPHONE/MIC JACK!!!!!!!!!!! YAY!
  • Has space for dual SIMs AND an SD card. None of that cheapskate fake "dual SIM" where you have to remove your SD card to use a second SIM.
  • The camera mechanism sounds gimmicky on paper but works very well. For those who have had brain surgery and have major problems leaning their head back to look up, it means you can angle the camera to see something above without moving your head or trying to roll your eyes out of their sockets.
  • It's fast. 8GB RAM and fast storage means a 32 MB download from Play Store is downloaded and installed instantly (at least as instantly as my 200 Mb internet allows). My old phone would take over a minute to download and install the same.
  • The battery would last at least 3 days of moderate usage. I could probably push it to a week if I got rid of all background apps and didn't use it for internet access when bored. It's also got a cool little app that scales the voltage/current on a fast charger to target 100% charge at a certain time each day to maximize battery life.

Only downside is it has no waterproof rating, but I've never dropped or soaked a phone in my life, and I don't expect to start now, so doesn't matter to me.

Last edited:
Still using an LG G6 I picked up on ebay for $80 in late 2017. It came with a nice case and wireless charger and works fine. Not a "phone guy" so no way I'll pay over $100 for one. It has dual camera lenses, a standard 13-megapixel lens and a 120-degree wide-angle lens which comes in handy. It's a Verizon model that I use on Tracfone, which costs only $24.51 for 60 days of service on the Verizon network. I loaded 700 songs on it for listening in my SUV as radio stations today are programmed by zombies at iHeart radio and play the same crap day after day. WBIG 100.3 in DC plays the same half dozen Queen songs every day multiple times along another half dozen from their other favorite Pat Benatar. I'll be adding another 1,000 songs or so on it since I got a 64GB memory card for it a few months ago.

Broke the screen on my Note 8 on New Years Day. I was hoping that it would be my 3-4 year phone. So instead of paying $240 +tax for a screen replacement I stepped up to the Note 10+. I was really hoping to skip a few more generations. The Note 10+ is barely better than my Note 8. I'm glad for the extra internal storage but miss my headphone jack.

I had an iPhone 7 but had problems with the mics. And the replacement they gave me developed the same problem. Upgraded to a XS Max 256 for about $600 usd, or 850 canuck bux. Recent updates fixed the Intel modem, so far its been a beast compared to my old phone. I did drop it on the basement floor without a case and it didn't break. Many expletives. I think it was 3 days old. Got a case now :thup:

Last year i switched to iPhone XR from iPhone 6,personally,i like Apple device very much,but i don't like the price of it,maybe i am used to Apple.

Back