• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

what cpu can my board use?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

LilBuddy

i am running a IWILL kk266+ with and AMD 1.4 t-bird at 1500mhz. i was wondering if a XP would work good on this board. the manual says a 1900+ will work. i keep hearing about the 1700+ overclocking really high. i am wanting to go to maybe 2000mhz or higher.

well im guessing thats tye via 266 chipset so... arent those compatible with t-bred b's?

if they are then you could get a 1700+

but i dont think that would be compatible with the bartons
hope that helps

Its a KT133A chipset - I know people have used this chipset before with Tbreds even though the mobo manufacturer doesnt fully support the chip (no bios specific to the tbred) - but it is a gamble.

I would e-mail Iwill about it, or check their site to see if anyone has used the t'breds in those boards.

my board says:

Supports single Socket A AMD® Athlon™ XP, Athlon™ or Duron™ processors
Supports AMD® Athlon™ XP processor from 1400+ to 1900+
Supports AMD® Athlon™ processor from 700 MHz to 1.4 GHz
Supports AMD® Duron™ processor from 600 MHz to 1.3 GHz

so i don't get why a t-bred core wouldn't work. do t-breds overclock better than palaminos?

Because the Pally's ran on a .18 micron process, and the Thoroughbreds have a .13 micron process. The older chipset may only support the .18 micron process, and therefore you could only go with a Palomino core. Yes the thoroughbreds do overclock better than the Palomino's...the difference is like day and night. ;)

who can tell me if the board will support the t-bred then? i just emailed them, so i guess i'll find out tomorrow maybe. but does anyone else have this board here?

in my somewhat limited experience the tbred "a" cores are more compatible with the older chipsets than the tbred "b" cores. they dont oc as well as the b's but 2ghz isnt very likley on that board without doing some bridge work to the chip. 150x12.5 is only 1875 and it takes some parts selecting to get nic cards and some agp cards to run at 150 fsb. so you would need to pop some bridges and connect some bridges to get a higher default multi like 14 or so. your best bet with that board would probably be to find an old pali agoia 1600+ thats already been unlocked for sale in the classifieds here

Tbred’s work on the KT133a chip set. However you have to do some surgery if you want higher multipliers than 12.5

I have a KT7A which uses the KT133A chip set and I am running a TbredB
1700+ at 2000MHz. I tried it on my friends Soyo Kt 133 board and it worked also. I cut the 2nd, 3rd, and fifth L3 Bridge to get a fourteen multiplier.

my bios already has the 14x multiplier available. but when i change chips will it go away? right now i am runnin at 145x11.5 and it is fine. gonna do a bench real fast to check improvement

Thats what I was thinking, but 7keys says that he runs his KT133a chipset with a tbred without a hiccup, so maybe the KT133a will support the t'bred with the proper BIOS.

altec said:
Thats what I was thinking, but 7keys says that he runs his KT133a chipset with a tbred without a hiccup, so maybe the KT133a will support the t'bred with the proper BIOS.

true, but you cant be sure unless it was done on the exact same board. even though they have the same chipset, it might not work with the board.

It might not work, this is true……but I would give it a try. It works in Abit, Asus, and Soyo Kt133a boards so why not IWILL? I think the chances are very high that it will……IWILL!
I would bet on it.

The 14 multiplier will most likely go away, that is my experience. The KT7A has a 14 multiplier but when I put the TbredB in, it only went to 12.5. You had to do some bridge work to go higher.

One thing though, all the multipliers are screwed up. You have to try them all on the 100 bus to find the one you want. They are all rearranged. If I set it the 9 multiplier I would get 17. It would boot to 2260MHz. It ran fine at that speed with my fan set to high but it drove me crazy.

Last edited:
I remember The Coolest doing extensive work with his Tbred on a KT133A - one of the major problems he found was the inability to use an FSB beyond 133 I think.

Back