• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

What CPU should I get for my MB (MSI K8N NEO2)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Panneskjegg

Registered
Hey diddeli ho!

Im a hobby gamer, and im hooked on Team Fortress 2!

The problem is that the game lags a lot. I want to run it SMOOTH.

My current gear is:

-AMD 3000+ (1.8ghz)
-2gb ram
-Gainward 7800 GS bliss (512ram)
-MSI K8N NEO2 Platinum
-Win XP (32 bit)

3dmark06 score: 3980 (Almost got 1000 more score just by OCing the GPU some)

A new and better CPU will make that lag disappear, I hope. Or is it my GPU that is holding me back ?

If a new CPU will help my lag disappear, which one should I get?

I have looked at some online stores, and these are my options:

1. AMD Athlon 64 4000+ 2.6GHz (150$)
2. AMD Athlon 64 3800+ 2.4GHz (115$)
3. AMD Athlon 64 4200+ X2 S-939 2.2GHz 2x512KB TRAY (150$)

Im not certain if my motherboard supports "X2", do I need some special MB for that CPU?
Link to my MB:
http://www.msicomputer.com/product/p_spec.asp?model=k8n_neo2_platinum

If I can't use the X2 on my MB, I have to go with either 1. or 2. If there ain't a huge performance difference between those 2, I'll just take the cheapest.

What do you recommend?

Where did those CPU prices come from?!?

You can get a 939 x2 manchester for under $50. Like this one:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819103222

Frankly I'm not crazy about your vid card either, but I wouldn't spend much at all on an AGP card. Neo2 is AGP if I recall rightly? You can get a new mobo & CPU for the cost of the CPUs you mentioned, but if you're doing that then don't get 939, get AM2(+). Of course then you have to have a new video card as it would be PCI Ex only.

Where did those CPU prices come from?!?

You can get a 939 x2 manchester for under $50. Like this one:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819103222

Frankly I'm not crazy about your vid card either, but I wouldn't spend much at all on an AGP card. Neo2 is AGP if I recall rightly? You can get a new mobo & CPU for the cost of the CPUs you mentioned, but if you're doing that then don't get 939, get AM2(+). Of course then you have to have a new video card as it would be PCI Ex only.

I live in Norway, and pretty much everything is expensive here :(

A new computer would be sweet. But alot more expensive as well (Motherboard, CPU, RAM, PCI express card, and probably a new PSU as well).
So, for now, I will just upgrade my CPU.

Hmm... Perhaps it isn't a bad idea ordering a CPU from across the borders.. I only have to pay shipping and 25% VAT. It would still end up being less expensive than buying it here in Norway.

Anyway! I have to know which CPU I should go for.. :)

OIC. You didn't list your nationality. I like the one I linked to previously for absolute "rock bottom" price/performance. If you don't intend to do any overclocking then this X2 4200+ Toledo is a great deal at $70.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819103053

I have picked up two of these in the last few weeks and they've both been good for around 2.85Ghz with only minor voltage bumps. Good cheap duals.

It seems my MB supports X2 Technology. I guess I'll just buy an AMD Athlon 64 X2 4000 :)

Last edited:
do a price grabber you can get a 180 for $175 I think stock clocks are 2.4ghz with a 12x muilt.

do a price grabber you can get a 180 for $175 I think stock clocks are 2.4ghz with a 12x muilt.

I can get an:

AMD Opteron 175 (2.2ghz) for 220$

or

AMD Opteron 180 (2.4ghz) for 265$

Is it worth paying those extra ~50$ for 0.2 more ghz?
Also.. They are not in stock until ~december :(

I can get an:

AMD Opteron 175 (2.2ghz) for 220$

or

AMD Opteron 180 (2.4ghz) for 265$

Is it worth paying those extra ~50$ for 0.2 more ghz?
Also.. They are not in stock until ~december :(

I'd go for the Opty 175. Easily clock it to 2.5GHz prolly with default vcore ;)

Ok. Cheers :)

Now the boring part is to wait for the CPU to show up in my mail :(

Back