• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

what degree would i need for building computers?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Freedom of 90 hour work weeks until you have a booming business? No thanks.

Some people are willing to deal with initial hardships to be their own boss and have the pride of having built a business from zero.

Yes but you won't get fired for showing up in your underwear either haha.

Exactly.

Regardless, I feel this whole convo is moot. The OP just posted once and took off never to be seen again.

Fun fact of the day. "Moot" means "able to be discussed" ironically.

Honestly, we're all taking this from our own personal angles anyway. How many of you guys KNEW and then FOLLOWED THROUGH on exactly what you "wanted to do" in highschool? I sure as hell didnt.

I actually got pretty close, I always liked building repairing and troubleshooting computer issues, I've now been in the IT world for 10 years

Loved hardware since high school... Got into mainframe after college, now I'm well on my way into data center managment. :)

I just noticed this in your sig. If that's the case, how are you on forums? :p
J/K I'm sure it's an iPad or something ;).

No, certainly not an Ipad. Not an apple fan, but now is not the time for that. Way too much liquid apple pie.

I'm using this infuriating little machine of my girlfriends that I cannot wait to chuck hard against the wall. I doubt I will ever be able to though. Taxes are due to come back tomorrow, so by mid week next week I should be on my own system again.

This seems to be a relative compromise eh?

Yeah went up from normal desktop tech to a sysadmin. My position is basically enterprise desktop management (in charge of policies, builds, deployments, etc for our team)

No, certainly not an Ipad. Not an apple fan, but now is not the time for that. Way too much liquid apple pie.

I'm using this infuriating little machine of my girlfriends that I cannot wait to chuck hard against the wall. I doubt I will ever be able to though. Taxes are due to come back tomorrow, so by mid week next week I should be on my own system again.

Congrats. It's nice to have a decent desktop

Im going to chime in. Totally different fields of work. Money isn't everything.

Was a welder for 8 yrs making 70k a year. I was unhappy and hated my job.

I now heavy haul for the same company driving a semi truck, i make about 20-25k less now. Im much more happy.

I have friends i ride mountain bikes with. They are over 30yrs old and only making 35-40k a year being a bicycle mechanic, they are extremely happy doing what they love.

My girlfriend has a passion for teaching high-school dance team. She makes about 2k in 6 months. Granted its a side job its not much at all. She loves it though.

If you truely have a passion go for it! Everything works out. And remember this. More money, more problems and usually bigger problems.

Hope this helps.

I don't feel like mo' money mo' problems holds true for everyone. My grandfather was making over $120K per year for the last 10-15 years that he worked and he had very few problems. He was a very nice person and was very charitable and kind and always payed forward any kindness done to him.

I don't feel like mo' money mo' problems holds true for everyone. My grandfather was making over $120K per year for the last 10-15 years that he worked and he had very few problems. He was a very nice person and was very charitable and kind and always payed forward any kindness done to him.

His point isn't "more money more problems", it's "do what you enjoy".

so tl;dr drink beer, i love drinking beer.

on another note jobs a job, work at your job long and hard enough maybe you will get a better job.
im working hard right now, my fingers almost hurt from typing this post.
in about 3 hours il be done at work and i can go to my second job. :)

The essay was "Do what you love" but the footnotes said "mo' money mo' problems."

But that wasn't the overall point.
The "more money more problems" can stem from anywhere. More expensive house/car/hobbies = more problems.

... what?
Cost =/= reliability...

Super expensive cars have power everything. Cheap cars don't. Super expensive cars have higher compression ratios, more complex engines, more complex electrical. Sensors in the brakes. Etc etc. More things that can go wrong, in other words.
A cheap(er), reliable car like a Toyota Camry has enough power for the average driver and will get you from A to B in comfort. If anything, I'd get a realiable economical car with a leather interior and upgraded stereo but that's as far as I'd go.

Back