• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

what do I need to get to 3.2ghz stable, with good temps?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

sektor

Pretty straightforward. I want to get to 3.2, MAYBE 3.4 on AIR on my E6600.

Here is my setup.

E6600, not OC'd.
Gigabyte DS3, F7 BIOS
2gig Corsair memory, DDR2 800
SI-128 Heatsink with 120mm high flow fan blowing onto cpu.

Right now, everything seems to pretty good. My temps are:

From CoreTemp:

Idle:

Core 1: 31-34
Core 2: 33-35

Under load, they get into the higher 30's, hit 40 and 41.

This is stock though, no OC'ing.

I am starting to wonder if I should look at a different cooler. Maybe a Tuniq tower or a ThermalRight Ultra 120? by changing also to one of these, I could also put on a cooler for my NB.

I want to get to 3.0ghz, but 3.2 is my goal.

Other than water cooling, what would people suggest here?

I could reuse the SI-128 on another rig I am building for my folks, so It is not like it won't be reused.

I appreciate suggestions and feedback

Cheers,

Sektor

Just thought i'd follow up.

I have a tuniq tower 120 that is being delivered to me tomorrow. A friend of my brothers (sounds like something out of a movie!) changed is mine and wants a different heatsink. He sold it to me for $30 and figured, why not.

UglyChild said:
Install the heatsink and OC. thats all you need.

the new tuniq tower 120?

If it's that easy, im good with that.

Anyone installed one of these on a DS3?

Just curious to see if there is any room to install a NB cooler.

Stupidpenguin said:
I have a 6600 and a DS3 with a big typhoon. My idle temp @3510 ghz and 1.45 vcore are 25-28c and loads at 42-45c. This is with a better fan than stock.

thanks stupidpenguin.

Do you cool your NB by chance? If so, what do you use?

Stupidpenguin said:
I have a 80mm fan attached to the NB. It runs very hot without it. Made a huge diff.

How do you attach a 80mm fan if you don't mind me asking?

I am trying out how to get max air cooling with my DS3 and E6600.

APpreciate the help

cooling the nb actually makes a difference? I did not know that. I thought aftermarket nb coolers were just for replacing broken ones or making your e-p***s bigger.

The SI-128 is a very good heatsink, a very small step below the 'great' tower-style ones. If you've already got everything mounted and ready to go I say just try the OC and see how it goes. :D

MadMan007 said:
The SI-128 is a very good heatsink, a very small step below the 'great' tower-style ones. If you've already got everything mounted and ready to go I say just try the OC and see how it goes. :D

I'll give that a go.

What temps should I be concerned with? Right now, it seems to idle in the low 30's...load's seem to be in the high 30's.

I was going to OC incrementall...2.6, 2.8, 3.0 and see how my temps are.

What should I be looking for?

Thanks.

Stupidpenguin said:
I have a 6600 and a DS3 with a big typhoon. My idle temp @3510 ghz and 1.45 vcore are 25-28c and loads at 42-45c. This is with a better fan than stock.

in TAT or easytuner 5 ?

Back