• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

What do you all think of the 6850 for this rig? (rush purchase)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

skyHIGH

Registered
Hey all,

I picked up a Powercolor HD6850 last night (last day of sale so I had to rush the purchase) for 120 after MIR. Want to run this by you guys because I still have the option to return it.

The rig in question is my gf's:

Gigabyte 970A-D3
Mushkin Silverline 4gb ddr3 1333
AMD Phenom II X4 955 Black edition
Arctic Freezer Pro 7 heatsink
XFX GT240 512MB
XFX 450W
Win7 Ultimate

GT240 needs to be RMA'd but I'm not going to bother (costs $25 to ship it to XFX when I bought the card for $30 bnib.. lame:mad:). So this time I grabbed the 6850 for this build.

The most demanding games my gf will ever play are SC2 and probably Diablo3 when it comes out. So some questions that I have are:

1) Can the 6850 handle these games?
2) For 120 is the 6850 a good buy or can I do better for the same amount of money? (bought from NCIX, which is all out of reasonably priced GTX460s)

One thing that influenced my decision was that the 6850 only requires 1 PCI 6 pin power connector which is all the 450W XFX PSU has. Will 450W be enough to power this rig? From my understanding the XFX unit is actually made by seasonic with 80plus efficiency. It uses a single +12v rail that supplies 34amps.. is this enough? No overclocking will be done, rig will be used as is. Thanks for the help:)

Yup, it'll be fine. I just sold one here for just a bit less than that, used of course, so $120 new isn't bad. I ran it on a 400w Corsair PSU and never had any issues. It'll run any game out there, just a matter of finding the right settings. Many games max no problem, some recent ones needed medium-high settings.

seems like a very good fit. The 6850 is a good card on its own right and $120 is a good price especially for a new one. It should do very well for those games too.

Back