• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

What do you pick - E21xx OR E7200 OR Others, and what RAM?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Take a look at this result:
http://forums.hardwarezone.com.sg/showpost.php?p=29596535&postcount=2

He is able to push E7200 to 3.4Ghz (upper limit) with default voltage only.
I don't know what cooler he uses (most likely not stock cooler).
Since that he doesn't need to increase voltage, I assume it's safe to push up to 3.4Ghz with stock cooler (+400mhz comparing with E21xx@3Ghz on stock cooling). Increase in speed alone should cause little heat.

1) I tend not to increase voltage because higher voltage would reduce the life of the CPU. How much voltage can I add without noticeably reduce the life of a CPU?

2) I don't know how much I can gain if I add an US$20-30 aftermarket cooler. Approximately how much further can I push and at what voltage? I want to play safe without stressing the CPU too much.

3) Approximately how long can an aftermarket cooler last? How much power do they consume?

4) What about getting a US$10-15 cooler?

When they say reduce the life, what they usually mean is it will last for 3 years instad of 5...unless you use extreme voltage.
In general, try to stay under 1.4V for the Duals.

You can also save money by getting CPUs without HSF when you get an aftermarket.

Aftermarket Air coolers will work pretty indefiently
The fan will need to be replaced eventually (like 5-10 years).

You can't really say what the result of adding more voltage will do to CPUs life. If will lower it, but by how much . . . ? I've never ran a CPU for more than a year anyway. My estimate is that .1 to .2 volt increase will not kill your chip in the next five years. Some say to keep 45nm chips under 1.35volts, but as you can see from my sig, I laugh in the face of such unfounded suggestions.

I think there are price cuts coming in the next week or so for E7200.

Sorry about Newegg. It must be tough living without the Egg. God bless America.

Last edited:
Back