• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

What do you think of my gaming rig?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Also if you look at newegg you can find similar power supplys at like 800 watts for 109$ because i saw one yestoday.

Aman said:
Also if you look at newegg you can find similar power supplys at like 800 watts for 109$ because i saw one yestoday.

Where might this be? I just looked just to see the specs, brand, and other good stuff and I didn't see anything in 800 watts for 109...

Wattage is NOT everything. The PSU is one of the most important components of your system, is supplies the power to your other expensive parts! Look around these forums and get some recommendations (And I'd bet that the two that I have named will be in the top 5 of recommendations)

And even though the ones that I named have only 520 and 560 Watt ratings, they have 33A and 38A (respectively) 12V Rails. They are very strong, stable, & proven PSUs.

jivetrky said:
Only major thing that I see that I would recommend changing would be the PSU. I'm a coolermaster fan, and have purchased a couple of their PSU's in the past. I'm not sure who exactly makes that particular model for them, but I'd recommend going with something like this:

OCZ PowerStream OCZ520ADJSLI ATX, BTX, EPS12V 520W Power Supply 100~120Vac / 200~240Vac 10/6a - Retail
OR
SILVERSTONE SST-ST56ZF ATX12V/ EPS12V 560Watts Power Supply 90V ~ 264V (Auto Range) - Retail

Thanks for the suggestion. I already ordered the system and I am awaiting for it to hit my door step. I need to go out and get XP pro as well. Can`t wait to put this bad boy together. I read good reviews on this PSU, since I am not going to anything crazy with this rig (just a mild oc on CPU) I should be striaght. I changed the case and sound card in the end. Got a better case and sound card. Total price with shipping 1700 bucks.:drool:

Yeah I thought about that, but I don`t want to take a chance on screwing something up and frying my rig. STILL waiting on the case to get here. I think I will head into town and look for a cheap case to hold me over in the mean time. This is whay I hate being overseas sometimes. Have to wait forever to get your stuff in the mail.

Still waiting no my damn case, so I bought a cheap one to hold me over. Installed windows had to manually adjust the timmings on the ram to show up as DDR800, running at 4-4-4-12. Now I am dealing with a DVD rom drive that has disapered in the OS. Seems that the 40 pin cable that is supplied for the CD rom is nto good, you have to use a 80 pin. Guess I do not need to RMA my DVD drive, cause I went out and bought another drive and had the same problems. Why can`t builds ever go smoothly the first time?:mad:

Didnt your motherboard come with 2 80pin cables? If so, did you try one of those?

But I can't imagine that a DVD burner would require an 80pin cable. It's probably not UDMA66 or higher?

Does the drive show in the BIOS? Or perhaps try swapping to the other IDE port on the motherboard?

Last thing would be to double check the jumper. I assume it's the only thing on the cable, so either set it to Master or Cable Select. I've found that some drives prefer one or the other. Some will only work on cable select, some only on master. So if you have it set to Master, try CS.

EDIT: and especially if you went and got another drive and it still did not work, you either need to try other jumper settings, or the port is bad.

jivetrky said:
Didnt your motherboard come with 2 80pin cables? If so, did you try one of those?

But I can't imagine that a DVD burner would require an 80pin cable. It's probably not UDMA66 or higher?

Does the drive show in the BIOS? Or perhaps try swapping to the other IDE port on the motherboard?

Last thing would be to double check the jumper. I assume it's the only thing on the cable, so either set it to Master or Cable Select. I've found that some drives prefer one or the other. Some will only work on cable select, some only on master. So if you have it set to Master, try CS.

EDIT: and especially if you went and got another drive and it still did not work, you either need to try other jumper settings, or the port is bad.
Well it turns out that the drive and the other DVD drive that I bought needed a 80 pin cable. Couldn`t belive that the cabled labled CD-rom that came with the mobo wouldn`t work. So i tried the 80 pin and BAM, it works now. I got my case in the mail yesterday and man that thing is nice. Got everything up and running good. Was amazed how much that cheap case sucked for airflow. My cpu was 44c idle and MB was at 55C idle, put everything in the Thermaltake Tsunami case and now the CPU idles @ 33C and the mobo @ 37-38c. I oc`d the CPU a little to 2.88ghz uping the FSB and keeping the ram @ 5-5-5-12. temps barley rose! Once my watercooling gets here and I going to see how much I can get outta this rig.
Question, my 7950GT last night got up to 68C while playing hitman bloodmoney. Isn`t that a little high? Maybe I outta take the heatsink off and throw some artic silver five on there.

Sounds like a great setup to me:beer: i never really used intel for any of my builds though so dont really know how they do with gaming and overclocking..

Good luck with your build and enjoy it :)

JP.MIGRAINE said:
Sounds like a great setup to me:beer: i never really used intel for any of my builds though so dont really know how they do with gaming and overclocking..

Good luck with your build and enjoy it :)

Thanks! This is my first Intel Build as well. I have been using AMD since the K62 3dnow! days. These core 2 duos are amazing. I haven`t oc`d it that much yet, only till 2.88. Played prey for a few hours and the temps only rose 3-4c over what they were at idle. Once i get my water cooling in, it is on.:sn:

Well the OC bug hit me and plus I was bored, so I was able to get 3.42ghz @ 1.4v with the memory @ 1:1. Able to load into windows and play prey for a while with no problems and the temps at 42c underload. This on stock cooling that came with the proc. Oh I have AS5 on it. The RAM is @ 5-5-5-15 @ 2.1 volts.

I do not have any stressing tools loaded on the CPU yet. Think this is a decent OC that will be stable?:sn:

Back