• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

What HSF do you have ?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Heatsink cream? Are you referring to thermal paste? I've got silver-bearing stuff I use, a lot of people like to use Arctic Silver 3. You've got to have _something_ in there, but depends on what you mean by "special". Most people here would advise against the silicone stuff or the thermal pads and vote for some sort of silver compound.

Does stuff usually come with the heatsink or should I look for this Arctic Silver 3 seperately?

Well, _something_ will come with it, usually silicone from what I've seen. Silicone is the white stuff, either in little packet form or sometimes in syringe form. I've only ever seen silver-based stuff in syringe form. AS3 is almost never shipped with something, you'll almost certainly have to order it separately, unless some place is running a special on a heatsink and Arctic Silver. It's not too much money, something like six or seven bucks, but it makes a difference.

Just ordered a syringe of it from Best Byte. Exactly how much do I apply, do I apply it to the heatsink or the CPU and how thick?

Arctic Silver Instructions
I love that one, "don't eat the silver heatsink paste"... mmm... poison, poison, tasty fish! :)

They've actually got the hand applying it to the heatsink and the core, but I usually end up applying mine only to the core. You've got to do it with something other than your hand (leaves oils), I usually end up using a new plastic baggie over my hand to spread it around and a card or something to smooth it out.

It should be _fairly_ thin, but not see-through anywhere. Don't overdo it though, sometimes it's a pain in the *** to clean it up. It shouldn't really be spilling off the top of the die. From the syringe, a small fraction of an inch on the plunger. You want something the width of the syringe out, and about maybe 1/24th of an inch long, something in that ballpark. You can always add more if necessary.

Idle: No idea, hasn't idled since I got it.
Load: ~40°C

I've got a Glacialtech IGLOO 2450 PRO. It was pretty cheap but it's kind of loud running at 4500RPM. Aluminum heatsink even though newegg says it copper :rolleyes:

I'm in West Texas where it's freaking hot so I'm happy with my temps.

Tbred A 1700+ @ 1713Mhz
1.6vcore

Last edited:
Mine is AX478 pair with 80mm Delta HHE on top of P4 1.8A @ 2.8 under volt to 1.47V. This chip run very cool 28C room temp, idle @ 32C, full load 39C. (5 32cfm fans in Cooler Master case).

Game Machine: 2100+ @ 13*192, Vcore: 2.05. 80mm Tornado run @ full speed on Alpha 8045, idle @ 38C full load @42. Running without case!

SK-7 with Vantec Tornado tamed by a SunBeam controller. I'll be reapplying the heatsink with Ceramique this week. I'll also sand smooth the finish and mod the fan with a small duct for better air contact.

Back