• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

what is going on....

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Digital Pimp

my girfreinds pc (winxp pro) starting acting up so i took a look at and this is what i have found so far...

on her desktop there is no Internet Explorer icon, there is one in the taskbar but it says "file not found" when clicked on.

no programs will open, says rundll32 or something cant be found

so far all i can do is browse mycomputer and control panel, when i try to open something with control panel nothing happens, i get the same"rundll32" thingy.

no apps show up in the system tray, no NAV, no seti, no nothing

i can however open apps if i right click and choose "run as" and run them under her account or mine (both admin accounts)

on my desktop i have an IE icon and can open IE with no problems, but cant open any programs unless right clicking and "run as"

i took the hard drive out and scanned it with NAV on my pc, she had about 75 infected files mostly screen saver (*.scr files) i wiped them, but still cant get the computer working properly.

The virus she had was called W32.Yaha.K@mm, any idea what it does?

Thanks for listening if u have any suggestions i'm more than open to them, i'm basically looking for a way i can save her installation without formatting and re-installing, but i will do that if nesscicary.

she already got a long speech about opening e-mail attachments :rolleyes: the virus has been traced to an e-mail with a "cute" screen saver :rolleyes:

thanks again,

Digital

yeah kinda reformat/reinstall he does not want to do that hes tried changing the shell all kinds of reg tweaks nothing works so i think rf/ri is his only choice im hopeing you get better responses than i did so i can try them out

just now tried searching for the file rundll32.exe i found it in various places that it probally should be.

i'm thinking the virus must have deleted some reg entrys or somestuff from the fat tables, but i thnk the fat table theroy would be giving me a lot more problems than what i'm getting

Digital

Try to go back... Use system restore and go back as far as you can and see if that helps. Or you could try to do a repair.

Other than that Format and reinstall...

Back