• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

What is makefile and how do i use it

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
You can't use makefiles with VC++, you have to use 3rd party programs like nmake.

No, on *nix you just use bsd make or gnu make. I'm pretty sure nmake is a make that is available for Windows.

You could always install Cygwin and use the make from that.

nmake is part of Visual studio. Do a search for it. I found mine in C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio .NET\Vc7\bin. I think there is a way convert it to a project as well.

A make file is a script to tell the compilier and linker what to do when you make (build) the project. Its common for all the *nix compiliers. It is similiar in its use to the .dsp or .vcproj files from Visual Studio, but I believe it functions in a different way.

It looks like those programs are just one file. So, try downloading the .c file, add it to a new project and build it. To use those make files in nmake, I believe you will have to edit them so the reference the VC++ compilier instead of cc and gcc.

Back